Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

possible to separate traffic going through same switch?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 1ce

1ce

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:44 AM

I am quite new to networking and have this problem at work. We will shortly be connecting one of our networks through to another network outside to one of our other branches. This will be done through a VPN but would need to be a two way VPN if you know what I mean? Both branches are going through an IPCop prxy server also.

The other thing is that there is going to be a FREE WIFI router connected to our switch in this network and would need to find a way of completely separating the traffic. So that there is no that free wifi users can get onto our network and vice versa.

Any help appreciated

Stewart

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1ce

1ce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

Anyone?

#3 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:44 PM

Id say your into the world of vlan s now, but you need someone more clued up on them than me to offer advise

http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac123/ac147/archived_issues/ipj_1-2/switch_evolution.html gives some useful advise

Edited by Fozzies, 02 November 2011 - 05:41 PM.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

I agree that a VLAN would serve your purpose best here. Most of the small business or better routers and many of the managed switches have the capabilty to establish a VLAN. All a VLAN does is essentially create a "Virtual network" within but seperate from the main network. It can be routed and controlled like any other network but runns across the same equipment as your main network.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users