Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use both integrated and PCI video card?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 norc

norc

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:40 AM

Hello. I recently purchased an Acer desktop refurbished and have been upgrading it here and there to my likings. I installed a new video card (AMD raedon HD 4670, has an HDMI, DVI, and VGA, it's PCI-e x16), a very nice sound card for recording, a blu-ray disc reader, and a new PSU.

I'm absolutely loving my new system. It's perfect. Except for the display. Right now im using a 720P 19" TV from best buy (which got a dead pixel after 6 months >.<), and I hate it. I got my sights on a really nice 1080P 24" screen on Amazon, but I'd like to dual screen with my old TV if I can (is it possible? Can one screen run 720p while the other does 1080p?)

But if I can, should I run an HDMI from the motherboard to the old tv, or am I better off just using both the VGA and hdmi on my video card, since the max resolution I can get with my TV is 1360x768, which both VGA and HDMI support. Would using the integrated port be less of a strain on my video card, or does it not matter. Or, is it even possible

Also, I dual boot windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.10.

Edited by hamluis, 01 November 2011 - 07:50 AM.
Moved from External Hardware to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 norc

norc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:46 AM

Ohhh wups, I posted this in external hardware. I meant to post it in internal since it's talking more about mobos, video cards, and such, but I guess you guys might know more about things like resolutions, dual screens, etc.

I'm split. I guess if a mod wants to move it, go for it. I'm fine either way.

Edited by norc, 01 November 2011 - 06:52 AM.

#3 AionTelos

AionTelos

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

I'm not sure if its possible to use the MotherBoard graphics and the GPUs. Also, there will be a little more strain on you GPU because your adding more for it to handle, but it is made to run these things. The motherboard CAN run them but no where near as well. The card should be able to run both screens no problem.

As for the resolution. You can manually change the resolution of each Monitor/TV it connects to.

Edited by AionTelos, 01 November 2011 - 01:23 PM.

#4 norc

norc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

Awesome man that's great news. I can't wait to get this set up! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users