Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MOVED FROM AII,,A Disk Read Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sambitsatpathy

sambitsatpathy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:15 PM

Hi,

I have a HP Pavillion dv 6700 laptop. I got the same error yesterday. The computer wont boot.

Did a scanning of my hard drive with the BIOS utility. It suggests to replace the HDD.

Was searching for help. Came across this post. Now am wondering, is my machine affected too.

Did you get a solution to your issue. Please do let me know.

Thanks
Sam

Edited by boopme, 01 November 2011 - 11:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:08 PM

I split you here to your own topic
Were you having a malware issue
Is this XP or another?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 sambitsatpathy

sambitsatpathy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:29 AM

I have a HP Pavillion dv6700 with Vista running on it. It is an Intel Duo machine. 4 GB RAM. Just after using for 2 years, I got a disk read error yesterday. It is a HITACHI, 5400 RPM , SATA, 250 GB hard drive.

Once the BSD (Blue Screen of Death)came on this laptop before 3 months. I ran the 'Primary Hard Disk Self Test' in 'BIOS'. It told to 'replace the HDD'. Somehow after 2 days it was up and gave no troubles till yesterday. yesterday also the 'Primary Hard Disk Self Test' in 'BIOS' told to 'replace the HDD'.

The only thing I did was installed a software to grab screen action and then uninstalled it. then ran the malaware bytes anti malaware tool and it caught nothing with the latest patch.

While we are discussing this, one basic query, how do I know, whether my HDD is in a data recoverable condition or not. Is it a problem with the MBR for which I am not able to access the drive, or the drive is dead for good. Yesterday I ran the 'Primary Hard Disk Self Test' in 'BIOS'. It told me to 'replace the HDD'. So does it mean it is gone forever? In this kind of a scenario, can I still recover data from it? When I turn on for doing anything on my computer, it seems, the hard drive is not making any sounds.

Thanks for all your help. Have a great day people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users