Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Latitude D630 - No WiFi connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kiwee

Kiwee

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:11 PM

I have a Dell Latitude D630 which I have never been able to get to connect to our home wireless network. In my many attempts to correct this I have now deleted the wireless setup under "Add/Remove programs" so that there is no longer any icons in Network Connections that refer to wireless. I've tried reloading drivers etc but nothing has worked, so I am now at a loss as to what to do to get it all back again - need some help here please. There is also a yellow question mark against Network controller in the device manager. If you plug a network cable into it then you get internet ok. Cheers Mike

Edited by Kiwee, 31 October 2011 - 08:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:58 PM

The first obvious suggestion would be the switch for turning on laptop's wireless capability. Go to Dell Drivers and Downloads Support site and follow the online instruction to acquire your wireless network card driver http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=Latitude+D630&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=False

Tekken

#3 Kiwee

Kiwee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:16 PM

ok thanks, I have downloaded the driver and everything looks as it was. I am now back to the original problem I had. The laptop can see our wireless network but when you go to connect to it and its asks for the network password, you cannot type in the box. It will allow random numbers but no letters, If you enter too many numbers it generates this error message - Checksum validation failed for the PIN entered.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:44 PM

Is this your home network and do you know the password set on the router's wifi settings? Match the security mode set on the network device(modem/router) to your network adapter. IF the router is set to WEP(AES) then your wireless card should also be set the same or what supports both. Other security mode are WPA, WPA2.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users