Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing 2nd Copy of Vista

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wjason777

wjason777

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:37 PM

I accidentally installed a second copy of vista on the same hdd. When i boot the computer it ask me to choose witch one do I want to load. I tried going to c: drive and deleting the windows folder but its saying I dont have permission to do that. Ant suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

FWIW: Whichever install you boot into...will be designated as C:. That's how Windows works.

Installing on the same hard drive...tells us nothing. We need to know if there are 2 partitions reflecting Vista installs...or if there are 2 Windows folders in one partition.

Go to My Computer and list the drives/partitions reflected there, please.

Better yet...post a screen shot from Disk Management.

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,585 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:03 AM

Also, if both are installed on the same drive, one will be named Windows and the second will have a different name. Open Windows Explorer and tell us the names of the two system (Windows) folders.

#4 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

here you go!

Attached Files

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,585 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

Hamluis asked for a pic from Disk Management. However, all you have to do is boot to your Windows installation, open Explorer, and delete Windows.old. Then use EasyBCD to modify your boot manager appropriately (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/EasyBCD.shtml)

#6 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

Im sorry, how do I get to Disk nanagement?

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,585 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:47 PM

Start - Run - diskmgmt.msc

But again, don't worry about it - just delete the second installation per my post above.

#8 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:25 PM

When I try to delete the Windows.old folder it loads until it gets to about 32gb then it says I dont have permission. I think the windows.old verson is the one that I'm currently using. So I tried to delete the windows.vista and its also saying that I dont have permission.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,585 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:04 AM

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users