Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive Won't Read DVDs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BostiPB

BostiPB

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

Hey,
Recently my DVD burner does not see any DVDs on my computer that I built a couple of months ago. It does not see Movies, Games(that are DVD), Blank DVD-R or DVD-R that I have written information to. I have put in a few different CDs(Game, Audio and Data) and they do get recognized by the drive. My problems all started when I was writing to a Blank DVD. While it was burning, the burn process failed about midway through. After that happened, my problems with the drive not recognizing the DVDs started.

I had done a system restore to an earlier restore point before I had the problems with the drive, but that did not help. So, I undid the system restore. I have also tried uninstalling the drive from the Device Manager and restarted, but that also did not work.

The computer is running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. The model of the DVD burner is a LiteOn iHAS524-T98 B. The Manufacture Date of the drive is April 2011, so it's not that old of a drive.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank You,
Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:56 PM

Microsoft Fix it Center Online - http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal

MS Fixit, Optical Drives - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Louis

#3 BostiPB

BostiPB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

Microsoft Fix it Center Online - http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal

MS Fixit, Optical Drives - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Louis

I tried MS Fixit. It did not resolve anything. I tried to remove the Upper & Lower Filters in the registry, but there were none. I uninstalled all of the burning software that I had and ITunes, but it also did not resolve anything.

What should I try now?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:15 PM

The simplest indicator is whether the drive will read a bootable DVD to allow the computer to start up, such as a Vista installation DVD or a Linux Live DVD. This requires only the drive to be working and DVD to be selected first in the boot order. If the drive cannot read the DVD to boot from, it is either faulty (usually DVD section of laser failed) or the laser lens could be dirty and need cleaning.

From your description of the drive ceasing mid-burn, I would suspect the laser has failed.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 BostiPB

BostiPB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

Well,

I tried booting up to the Windows 7 Install DVD. No Luck. So, I guess my drive is on it's way out. Shame that it only lasted a little over 4 months. To be absolutely sure, i will try to clean the laser lens and see if that helps any.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:37 PM

The model of the DVD burner is a LiteOn iHAS524-T98 B.

Hi -
Not greatly surprised, as I searched these models and found a general price around $25 to $30 - Highest Retail cost was $35 -
Although they are considered as a fairly OK unit, at the price, I think they are a short time install replacement unit -
They should be reasonably cheap to replace -

Regards -

#7 BostiPB

BostiPB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:20 PM

Yeah it was a cheaper drive. Guess its time I contact them for the 1 yr warranty on it. Never had any problems with liteon drives before.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

The Manufacture Date of the drive is April 2011,

Hi -
I hope you kept the purchase dockets, and they may swap your LiteOn for a similar model
Not 100% sure on warranty but I will check it -

Regards -
Warranty - 1 year limited ?? (found on their site)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users