Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Sound?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 XuzI

XuzI

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:50 PM

I'm having a problem with my sound. I have all volumes turned up all the way, and its still not as loud as it use to be.
I plugged in a mic and headphones and now my computer for some reason isn't the same sound wise. I plugged headphones into my speakers and my computer itself and its still not as loud as it use to be.

When playing sound through my speakers it doesn't produce correctly either. I have restarted my machine, unplugged and replugged cords, still nothing.
I don't know what in the world could happen.

PS - Quality has also been lost, drastically. I have a lot of bass but my regular speakers play like a tin can and they use to be excellent... This just happened all of a sudden, I have no idea what happened.

PS2 - I don't know if this was considered internal or external, so sorry if I posted it here!

My headphones: Sennheiser HD428
Speakers: CA CA-3090
Computer:Gateway DX4200
Motherboard: Gateway RS780 (AM2+ Socket)
Sound: Sound Cards
High Definition Audio Device
Playback Devices
Speakers (High Definition Audio Device) (default)
Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:16 PM

First thing to try is to reinstall your sound drivers from Gateway

Looks like they have 4 versions of the drivers. Get the latest ones.
See if that helps.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:41 PM

Hi,

I installed the latest and didn't seem to help the problem.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:03 PM

Check sound card control panel for volume and stereo surround or channel output. Isolate problem first by unhooking mic or headphones and using external speakers only. Check connecting ports if they are fully seated and nothing is faulty on either end. If you have onboard sound, use it first for the sound card might also be busted.

Tekken

#5 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:35 PM

Check sound card control panel for volume and stereo surround or channel output. Isolate problem first by unhooking mic or headphones and using external speakers only. Check connecting ports if they are fully seated and nothing is faulty on either end. If you have onboard sound, use it first for the sound card might also be busted.

All volumes are up and speakers show working fine.
I am using the on-board ports. There is one in the back and front, makes no difference. I am also using external 2.1 Speakers (and have tried headphones).
I do not have a sound card.

#6 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:03 AM

Still having issues...

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:24 PM

Looks like you need a new external or usb sound card as the audio chipset may be faulty.

Tekken

#8 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:28 AM

Hi Xuzl

There may be one other setting to check..right click on sound icon in taskbar>>select playback devices>>click the communications tab>>look to see if it is checked for windows to reduce volume..if so change to to nothing or your preference..click apply>>okay

Pauline

#9 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:18 PM

Hi Xuzl

There may be one other setting to check..right click on sound icon in taskbar>>select playback devices>>click the communications tab>>look to see if it is checked for windows to reduce volume..if so change to to nothing or your preference..click apply>>okay

Pauline

Hi, I did this (it was set to reduce up to 80%), but I didn't notice a difference.

@Everyone else: Is it possible that maybe my 2.1 speakers just went bad? I find it odd, but is that a possibility? Because I have two ports for speakers (one in front and one in back) and plugging it in to a different one makes no difference.

#10 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

Hi

Not sure if this will help but thought I would throw it out there just in case the settings got changed..

Check the enhancements in your speaker properties.. make sure it's not set to 'sewer pipe' or another setting that would make it sound like a tin can..click sound icon in taskbar>>playback devices..click on your speakers then click the 'properties' tab at bottom..a new window will open..click the enhancement tab...see what sound enhancement is selected..also at the bottom check the 'setting' tab and see what is effect is selected selected..

Pauline

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:36 PM

Is it possible that maybe my 2.1 speakers just went bad?

I would check this on a different machine just to be sure.

Tekken

#12 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:09 PM

Hi

Not sure if this will help but thought I would throw it out there just in case the settings got changed..

Check the enhancements in your speaker properties.. make sure it's not set to 'sewer pipe' or another setting that would make it sound like a tin can..click sound icon in taskbar>>playback devices..click on your speakers then click the 'properties' tab at bottom..a new window will open..click the enhancement tab...see what sound enhancement is selected..also at the bottom check the 'setting' tab and see what is effect is selected selected..

Pauline

None were enabled, but I checked "disable all" just in case. Didn't notice a difference though.

#13 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:20 AM

Hi Xuzl,

Did you ever find a solution to this..? I saw one posted recently in the forum that you might want to try..right click on speaker icon..select playback devices..click on speakers then select the properties tab..under advanced change the format to 16 bit 44100 Hz

Pauline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users