Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

when i turn my dell on it starts up and then the screen goes black and their is a blinking bar in the left corner?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 courtcourt22

courtcourt22

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:25 PM

when i turn my dell on it starts up and then the screen goes black and their is a blinking bar in the left corner. i have tried almost everything but nothing seems to work. I press f5 or f4 and it does nothing. if i continue to press buttons..every time i press a button it makes a loud beep noise. is there any way to fix my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:46 PM

What is your operating system?
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 courtcourt22

courtcourt22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:47 AM

i believe a dell 1400 laptop

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:43 PM

That's the type of computer. I need to know the operating system: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, etc.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 courtcourt22

courtcourt22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

windows vista

Edited by Orange Blossom, 03 November 2011 - 12:36 AM.
Moved to Vista Forum. ~ OB

#6 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:52 AM

Greetings courtcourt22 and welcome to the Forums,

I'd like to try assisting you with this issue...Have you changed the boot menu options from within the BIOS?

Please look for and remove any other removable media that you may have left inserted, i.e. usb flash drive, external hard drive, dvd or cd left in the drive...the system may be trying to boot to any of these according to the boot menu ranking. If this fails to correct the issue, please continue with the suggestion below:

Have you tried booting to safe mode? If not, press the power button...and when the system begins to boot, begin tapping the F2 function key. Continue tapping until you hear a beep tone. Wait for the computer to boot into the safe mode menu screen. Select "Safe Mode"...if the safe mode boots, wait for the system to stabalize, then shut down the system completely by pressing the power button to shut it down.

If successful, and upon a complete clean shut down, after you hear the disk stop spinning, please unplug the computer. Wait fifteen seconds before pluging the system back in. Try a normal boot up at this point. Successful? Please let us know. If all this fails, we may need to get things going with the use of the system's installation DVD. Please let us know if you have that handy. Thanks!

Disabled Veteran, U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

Member: U.N.I.T.E.
Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

#7 courtcourt22

courtcourt22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

when i press f2 it goes to the system info thing. it says in order from top to bottom (system,onboard devices, video, security, performance, power management, maintance, POST behavior, and wireless

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

Have you tried booting to safe mode? If not, press the power button...and when the system begins to boot, begin tapping the F2 function key. Continue tapping until you hear a beep tone. Wait for the computer to boot into the safe mode menu screen. Select "Safe Mode"...

Pressing the F2 key has taken you to the BIOS Setup Menu.

Instead of F2, please try tapping the <DEL> (DELETE) <F8> key after turning on the computer: This should take you to the Advanced Boot Options menu, from which you will be able to select Safe Mode to start.

Edited to correct the key to press.

Edited by AustrAlien, 04 November 2011 - 04:08 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#9 1972vet

1972vet

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,698 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

Ahh, I see you have some expert assistance. Please carry on.

Edited by 1972vet, 04 November 2011 - 03:28 PM.

Disabled Veteran, U.S.C.G. 1972 - 1978
mvpsigpic.jpg
2009 - 2013

Member: U.N.I.T.E.
Performance and Maintenance for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Seven

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:35 PM

What was I (not) thinking vet!

You got it right when you first posted with "OK, try it again using the F8 key.".

F8 is the correct key to be using ... most likely ... to get to the Advanced Boot Options menu.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 courtcourt22

courtcourt22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

ok should i unplug my laptop from its charger or could there be something else getting in the way of it running? when i continue to press the f8 key as soon as i turn on the computer all it does is start making a beep noise every time i continue to press the key

#12 courtcourt22

courtcourt22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

the only keys its really letting me use are the f2 and f12. f12 takes me to a menu that says Internal HDD, CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive, Onboard NIC, BIOS Setup, and Diagnostics

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:04 PM

No need to unplug ...

Let's try it this way ...
"the only keys its really letting me use are the f2 and f12. f12 takes me to a menu that says Internal HDD ..."
  • Press F12 on startup ...
  • Then select "Internal HDD" and press <ENTER>.
  • Immediately start tapping the <F8> key.
Does this take you to the Advanced Boot Options menu?

Without checking your particular computer documentation, F8 is most likely to be the key you need to be tapping. However, it could be a different key. If F8 doesn't work, we will need to have a look for more information to determine the correct key to be using.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 courtcourt22

courtcourt22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

nopeee once i clicked on internal HDD it took me right back to the screen with the blinking bar in the left corner and when i continued to press f8 it continued to beep

#15 courtcourt22

courtcourt22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

clicking internal HDD did nothing but bring me back to the black screen with blinking bar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users