Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP machine can't access shared Win 7 folder

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rdm362

rdm362

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:08 AM

I have 6 computers here at the office, 5 of which are on XP Pro SP3 and the my main computer running Win 7 Pro SP1. Well 3 of the 5 XP machines can access a shared folder on the 7 machine. The other XP machines can see the 7 computer on the network but can not access the shared folder.

I did the ipconfig/all and the node type shown on ALL machines is unknown. Printed out all the ipconfig/all screens and compared them side by side. All are identical with the normal expections of IP address, mac addresses etc.

When I try to access the folder with the name method ( \\mainoffice\shared files) I get right in on the machines that were already working but on one of the others i get taken to the "connect to mainoffice" box asking for a user name and password. The other machine does nothing unless I remove the "\shared filles" portion. \\Mainoffice alone gets me to the same username/password box. The 7 machine is set up to share everyone.

Have been battling this for a couple weeks now and have run out of ideas. Can some one please give me some suggestions.

This isn't supposed to be this hard I don't think

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:23 AM

You need user accounts that match those on the Windows XP box on the Windows 7.

#3 rdm362

rdm362
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

Of the 3 XP boxes that DO indeed have access, they have diferent user names. 1 being "user" another being "administrator". The boxes that don't have access have the same user name as the 7 box. I saw this and changed the user name on 1 of those to be different since that worked on the other XP boxes but it made no difference on this one.

What am I missing here????

#4 dirtdog900

dirtdog900

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

As mentioned above, you need matching username/passwords on both boxes. If you don't have passwords then this may still cause you a problem, even though your username is the same.

#5 rdm362

rdm362
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

Don't use passwords. And as i stated earlier "Of the 3 XP boxes that DO indeed have access, they have diferent user names. 1 being "user" another being "administrator". The boxes that don't have access have the same user name as the 7 box."

So the user name thing doen't make sense to me in this case.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

You need passwords enabled.

#7 rdm362

rdm362
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:44 PM

So if I need passwords enabled why do 3 of my 5 XP boxes connect (with different user names also) and the other 2 XP boxes with the same user names not connect? But all the XP boxes will connect to each other no problem.

Edited by rdm362, 31 October 2011 - 04:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users