Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

L2mfix Caused Blue Screen Of Death?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 toohipfortheroom

toohipfortheroom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:50 PM

Hi folks, I am new here.....not the best way to introduce myself, but I pulling my hair out, so if anyone has any advice, please let me know....

About a month ago, I had a problem with 8 bazillion popups. Ran 14 different spyware/malware etc. programs, and then read about the L2mfix, and it worked.

Yesterday, all the popups came back again...Surfsidekick, yyy65, all the same stuff. (Is there any way to figure out what I did that made them all come back?)

Anyway, this time when I ran L2mfix, after the "second scan" it said "specified file not found" or something very close to that....it went through all the motions, and after the restart, goes to the BSOD about 8 seconds after the desktop appears. It's going by so quickly I can't even read what the error is....

Not sure if it matters in this case, but -
Win XP
Toshiba Satellite laptop 2.0 ghz, 512 mb RAM

I feel wlike writing to all the travel agents and dating services to ask them - after your ads lock up my machine for the 26th time, do you really think my reaction is going to be "gee, I should buy something from these people?" sheesh......

thanks for any help!
tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:32 AM

Hi There :thumbsup:

I have read your post and I think it would be wise for you to post a HijackThis log for an expert to review. I bet you are wondering what HijackThis is. Well it's a program that is simply able to show others what's going on inside your computer, in terms of infection etc.. The reason that L2me fix is not working could be a mistake on your part; however there may be something that is stopping the fix from working. There are quite a few problems with the program running, so if you give a link to this thread in your topic, so the expert can see what you've done so far. Surfside Kick is nasty and a pain to remove in some cases, the helper will get you cleared up :flowers:

I recommend you follow the HijackThis preparation guide which can be found here. It is important that you follow the guide closely. A number of scans will be run which may well fix your problem.

As the guide says, after you have completed the scans that are recommended, please post your "HijackThis" log in a new topic in the forum found here. Please add your system infomation and also what problems you are having. Please wait for a few days and one of our experts will get onto fixing your computer for you.

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users