Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question on superduper

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:11 AM

I do a bootable backup copy of my entire mac hdd on an external hdd. It takes awhile to backup and somewhere I read it was a good idea to log out/back in before doing the backup. I don't do anything on the mac while it runs - so this is not a backup easily done or done everyday. More like once a week.

I tried setting up a second backup of just my personal files on a 2nd partition of the ext hdd to do in addition to my bootable backup. I wanted to see if this would be a lot quicker - doing the smart update backup after the first backup. And I would still read Word docs or webpages while the backup was running and not bother w/ logging out then back in.

So I set up the backup to a disk image - a sparse bundle- since there were some folders on the 2nd partition that I intended to backup to. I wanted my documents, desktop, movies, pictures folders but not applications, library, public or sites folders. This meant doing a custom script and there were choices I didn't know the purpose of so I left them selected - .ds store, .file, .seventds, .hotfiles.btree, .spotlight-V100, .trashes, .vol.

I have two problems/questions
1. My sparsebundle ended up on my mac hdd instead of the 2nd partition of the ext hdd. Can I delete it thru terminal instead of trash? I have a feeling "rm" or "rm -r" won't work. I don't want a large file like that in trash. I never empty my trash since you can't delete individual items which means I have to check every item in trash before I empty it.

2. When I ran the backup I saw I was making a bootable copy. Would it save time to edit the script so that the copy is not made bootable? How would I do that - which of those .files should I use the ignore command on? I still want the copy to be spotlight searchable.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

What backup program are you using?

Why not just use Time Machine?

I understand the basics of what you're trying to do, it just seems like you're doing a lot of extra stuff that is not needed.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 05 November 2011 - 01:41 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

I would suggest you create an account and ask here. The software developer is pretty good at answering technical questions on SuperDuper!
I 2nd keyboardNinja's advice on using Time Machine to backup your personal files, and using SuperDuper! for cloning a bootable backup.
How do I store a bootable backup side-by-side with my Time Machine data?

Edited by Buddyme2, 05 November 2011 - 03:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users