Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Clean Install Windows XP Home on Netbook

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ajv41266

ajv41266

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:13 PM

Hello,

I recently ran into some performance issues with my Acer Netbook. It is an Aspire One that is about 2 years old now. I thought that it was the result of some malware, but was not really sure. Things went from bad to worse when I allowed my brother to "fix" my computer for me. The first thing that he did was open my registry and started looking for things that he said shouldn't be there and then deleted them. I do not have a list of what was deleted and he does not know, but I was watching and it seemed like he deleted and/or changed several things. When I continued to experience problems he tried to fix my computer again. This time he ran COMODO System Cleaner and a Free Windows Registry Repair. Things have still not improved. Sometimes when I turn on my computer, it will not boot to a home screen. When this happens I turn off the power and turn it back on again, it seems like if I do this 1-3 times, eventually the computer will start up to a home screen. I tried to run the ACER system reboot, but that program is no longer available. I have tried to reinstall Windows XP Home Edition, but I get a message that "A disk read error has occurred." All that I want to do at this point is to completely reinstall Windows XP. I have the product key from the sticker on my computer. But, I don't know how I can do this because I do not have a CD ROM and I do not have a Windows XP CD. Is there anything I can do?

Thank you for any help that you can offer.

Edited by hamluis, 02 November 2011 - 07:25 AM.
Merged posted topics.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:27 AM

It is possible to install XP from a flash drive or other external medium. http://www.google.com/search?q=install+xp+from+flash+drive&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&ie=&oe=#q=install+xp+from+flash+drive&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-Address&prmd=imvnsfd&ei=DiyuTv_qJOW90AG9wuypDw&start=10&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=20cb5bf5d8c90627&biw=1024&bih=625 However, one must have the XP install media to do so.
What is meant by;
"I have tried to reinstall Windows XP Home Edition, but I get a message that "A disk read error has occurred"." What method were you using to try to install XP?

Edited by bludgard, 31 October 2011 - 12:28 AM.

#3 ajv41266

ajv41266
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

First, Thank you for trying to help! I am currently downloading the install media and have started watching some of the tutorials, I think I am getting close to attempting an install from a flash drive. When i tried to re-install XP I used the following process: Open folder i386; click on WNNT32; select New Install (as opposed to the Upgrade option); enter product code; select download new setup files. The process starts to run, then the computer restarts, then, a black screen comes up that reads "A disk read error occurred" "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"; I press Ctrl+Alt+Del; the computer restarts and comes to a screen that says Please Select Operating System to start: 1. Windows XP Home Edition 2. Windows XP Setup; if I select Windows XP Setup, the same "A disk read error occurred" "Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" message appears; if I select Windows XP Home Edition; the computer will boot the my home windows screen. Thank you again for your interest and help! And sorry for the 1 day delay, I am a student and had a big test today, so I was really busy yesterday and this morning.

#4 ajv41266

ajv41266
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

Hello,

I am trying to perform a clean install of Windows XP Home Edition from a USB. I have a netbook that has major issues. I posted another thread and someone was kind enough to provide me with a ZIP of the Windows XP media that I need and I have my OEM product key code. In with the XP.zip that I received there was a read me file that said if I don't know how to create a bootable .iso, I should start another thread and ask, so here I am. I have watched a couple of youtube videos about how to format a USB for a windows install. But, I am guessing that if I get this wrong, my netbook could crash. If you can help, I really appreciate it!

Edited by hamluis, 02 November 2011 - 07:23 AM.
Merged.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

Hi -
Please stay with your First post only -
There is no need to create multi topics on the same exact problem -

#6 ajv41266

ajv41266
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

Gotcha. Sorry, thought that there was a reason (that I didn't know) to create the additional thread based on the help I have already received. I will add this post to my other topic.

#7 ajv41266

ajv41266
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

I need a little more help now... someone was kind enough to provide me with a ZIP of the Windows XP media that I need and I have my OEM product key code. In with the XP.zip that I received there was a read me file that said if I don't know how to create a bootable .iso, I should start another thread and ask, so here I am. I have watched a couple of youtube videos about how to format a USB for a windows install. But, I am guessing that if I get this wrong, my netbook could crash. If you can help, I really appreciate it!

#8 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:17 AM

What is the exact make/model of the machine that needs reinstall, ajv41266?
Also, what type of external media (make/size) will you be using to house the XP files?
Edit: Might be helpful to know the machine (operating system) that will be used to create the XP install media. :wink:

Edited by bludgard, 02 November 2011 - 06:29 AM.

#9 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

After several hours of fiddlin' around with several methods (I have only installed Windows 7 from USB), this is the simplest way I have found using a disk image (.ISO) file of XP Home x86, a 2GB SD memory card, an ACER 5517 laptop (test machine) and a Gateway laptop (functional workstation).

Programs used:
1) Virtual CloneDrive
2) WinToFlash 0.7.0020 Beta

I installed the above programs (opting out for offered additional software installations) on the Gateway and put a copy of XP image file on desktop. Right-clicked XP image file and mounted the file with Virtual CloneDrive. Plugged in the SD memory card and formatted it as FAT32.
Navagating to the extracted folder containg WinToFlash, I double-clicked WinToFlash.exe and went through the rigamarole to get to this screen where I chose the source and target.
[attachment=110565:1.JPG]

After the file transfer was completed, I ejected the SD card and plugged it into the ACER. Booted to BIOS by pressing F2 at boot and setting the boot order to USB:multidevice (or something like that) as first boot. Saved changes and exit BIOS for reboot. WinToFlash came up and instead of letting it run as default, I arrowed up to the first option on the list (as the default fails) and pressed enter. XP started install. When the last reboot occured, I selected the second option offered (something along the lines of "Windows first run") and XP booted to the desktop no problem. Ejected the SD card and rebooted to be sure it worked. Absolutely.

#10 ajv41266

ajv41266
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:43 PM

Thank you. I will try to replicate your process, but probably will not have time until Saturday night or Sunday. FYI - I am using a different Acer laptop that runs Windows 7 to create the install media and will either use an SD card (per your post) or a flash drive. I have a lot of flash drives, so I have not selected one particular make to use, if I go that route. I will post an update as soon as I am able to try. Thank you again for all your help! I really appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users