Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on Cold Boot Only x116

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 taylort232

taylort232

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:06 PM

Need help diagnosing a BSOD that I get only on cold boot.

Specs:
CPU E5200 @ stock - prime95 is 100% good for 8 hours
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 4GB - memtest is 100% good
XFX Core 550W PSU (new part)
XFX HD 6870 video card (new part)
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Mobo
Windows 7 64 bit Professional (switched over to this with the two new parts)

I've attached the BSOD logs - here are the things I've tried:
Remove, driver sweeper, reinstall catalyst drivers (tried 11.7, 11.8, 11.9 drivers, full package and video drivers only)
Reinstall windows 7
Setting core number in msconfig, setting max memory
Various BIOS settings
Overvoltage on memory and north bridge
DX utility for upgrade
SFC.exe /scannow

Any ideas?

Attached Files

• Attached File  BSOD.txt   15.41KB   10 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 taylort232

taylort232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

Anyone?

#3 westom

westom

• Banned
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:15 PM

Anyone?

I'm not sure what some of those things 'you tried' really are? For example, how does anyone do an overvoltage?

Your BSOD reports a problem with the video controller. That can be software, the controller board, or many inputs to that board (including voltages). It constantly occurs when an instruction is executed or data is read at fffff880`06759ba8.

Now you must eliminate the suspects. The first suspect always addressed is the computer's foundation - the power system. Which is more than just a PSU. Can be accused or exonerated with but a minute of labor using a multimeter.

Also useful would be comprehensive system diagnostics. All manufacturers have them. Only the better manufacturer will provide them for free. You might also view your video controller manufacturer's web site for diagnostics.

Whereas the problem centers on the video controller, that actual failure may be elsewhere including in the motherboard and video controller driver. Additional facts may also be in the system (event) logs or in Device Manager. But step one always starts with the meter.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:53 AM

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#5 taylort232

taylort232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

Overvoltage was done simply by upping voltage in BIOS to the given component - the thought process on the memory was try to detect a failing component.

I haven't ever used the multimeter tool on the PSU - can you spell it out for me in detail?

Specifically, I think it could be related to something that happens only on cold boot. This never (not once) has happened on a standard reset. However, unlike some of the other cold-boot BSOD threads I've found, it does happen on a "warm boot" (as in, the computer shuts off normally, wait just a few seconds, and boot back up)

The BSOD.txt file is attached to my first post

Thanks for the help guys!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:14 PM

My apologies, sometimes I fail to read down to the attachments area :).

I would uninstall the video drivers via Device Manager...then reboot and reinstall same.

Louis

#7 westom

westom

• Banned
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:16 PM

I haven't ever used the multimeter tool on the PSU - can you spell it out for me in detail?

Set the meter to 20 VDC scale. Black probe connects to the chassis. Touch the red probe to a purple wire where it connects the PSU to the motherboard. It should read about 5 volts even when the computer is not working. But report that number to three digits.

Now increase the system load by accessing all peripherals simultaneously (multi-tasking). IOW play complex graphics (ie a movie), while downloading from the internet, while playing sound loudly, while searching the hard drive, while reading a CD-Rom, while powering a USB peripheral ....

Now measure voltages on any one red, orange, and yellow wires. Also report those three digit numbers. A next reply will either identify or exonerate any power system suspects ... without any more speculation.

Also discussed were comprehensive system diagnostics. Additional facts may be in the system (event) logs or in Device Manager.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users