Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

annoyed with Ubuntu 11.10 PART 2

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:13 PM

I was reading the thread of (annoyance with Ubuntu 11.10) and my response was off topic so I figured I would save the Admin of this site from having to tell me to move my thread. (BTW: great job ADMIN! I love this site, it is the only forum I have stuck with for this long!) :clapping:

COPY AND PASTED FROM ORIGINAL THREAD:

I have become accustomed to the tool bar. It doesn't bother me much anymore. I do however have a bug where my window icons are MIA! I can't minimize certain programs or exit them! I can't even do anything to get them off the desktop. sometimes left clicking on Unity will allow me to quit the program. other times I have to restart the computer. I am ready to try a new distro. I like the Open SUSE interface but would miss the software center too much. I am not good with the terminal and am not good installing unless I have good walk through. Does anyone have a recommendation for a different distro that has a software center and is intuitive as Ubuntu?

I dropped SUSE when it downloaded the wrong program files in the YAST 2 manager and I couldn't use my printer until I spend 4 hours reconfiguring it. I enjoyed learning about it, but am far too busy to play with the terminal for hours.. I would like to find a new distro. I hate microsoft more but it is efficient. I hate to switch back. I may consider rolling back to 11.4 if there is no other distribution that works for me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

What window Icons, and have you tried Gnome or another Desktop Environment?

#3 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,953 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:29 AM

scu have you tried xfce really like it you can drag and icon you want to the desktop and you can add as many tool bars as you want.

Edited by rburkartjo, 31 October 2011 - 05:29 AM.

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#4 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:59 AM

Sorry for the long time before responding. I haven't been online lately.

Crypto, Rburk: I read awhile back that the Unity desktop was going to be the default desktop environment for Ubuntu 11.10 and not even the "old school" Gnome was not even going to be available? So I didn't even think to try switching environments. I would be curious on how to do this if your guys are willing to shine some light on the subject

These are the window Icons I was referring to:
/home/brian/Desktop
they just disappear and I can't do anything with the window!

I have been using Mint for the last few days now and am pretty happy with it. I had to add the Cairo Dock to spice things up a bit but a very nice OS indeed.

#5 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:03 AM

For whatever reason that picture didn't work. is there anyway just to upload a pic of does it have to be from a web source?

but anyway: the window icons I am talking about are the minus, square and X at the top of the window.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:33 AM

You can upload them to http://www.imageshack.us

#7 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

I don't use Ubuntu so this may or may not work for you.
ALT-F opens a programs file menu (open,print,quit)
CTRL-ALT-ESC will kill the window under the mouse
In KDE the icons you are referring to are "window decorations"
Hope that helps.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#8 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

thanks crypto, I will check it out... I actually downloaded a desktop from image shack the other day!

thanks for the tip, I tried ALT - F (in Mint, not Ubuntu but Debian none the less) and it worked. the CTRL -ALT -ESC how ever, did not.

I think I may just stay away from Ubuntu till they have a more stable release.

#9 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,953 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

use this combo to restart x it is alt+printscreen+k all pressed at the same time
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#10 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

Thanks rburk... I am already convinced that I prefer Mint over Ubuntu, but I still do some work with Ubuntu so I will keep that shortcut key in mind

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

Linux Mint is based off of Ubuntu the only difference are the customizations made to each.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users