Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Factory restore problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nicktheflash

Nicktheflash

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

Evening,

I am trying to do a factory restore on a Dell laptop running Vista 32bit.

The problem is when I go to repair it, instead of the dialog box that gives me several options, including a factory restore, it prompts me to login in as "Other User." The issue is that this is my personal computer and an other user does not exist therefore I have no password or login ID to use and can't get past this screen.

Clearly this is a virus that is capable of changing my settings.

Does anyone know how to change these settings back? Or, is this a way around this so that I can do the factory restore?

Edited by hamluis, 31 October 2011 - 07:01 AM.
Moved from Vista to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Akashi

Akashi

• Members
  • 301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

Dell computers have custom master boot record (MBR) code that allows users to boot into the Dell Restore Partition. The problem you have can occur when a rootkit has infected the MBR and overwritten some of the Dell custom code. If you used bootrec /fixmbr this would still not allow you to boot into the Dell Restore Partition because it would replace the MBR with default Windows code, not Dell custom MBR code.

However, there are some workarounds for this problem:

1. There are some instructions HERE on how to manually restore your computer from the Dell Restore Partition.

2. If you are not confident about doing a manual restore, you may be able to get a backup disk from Dell HERE.

I hope this helps. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users