Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with downloading youtube to mp3 converter on ubuntu linux

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pentazoid

Pentazoid

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

I cannot successfully download the youtubetomp3converter software application. These are the commands I write in the terminal:

gedit youtube2mp3

, and this script(correctly) appears:

x=~/.youtube-dl-$RANDOM-$RANDOM.flv
youtube-dl --output=$x --format=18 "$1"
ffmpeg -i $x -acodec libmp3lame -ac 2 -ab 128k -vn -y "$2"
rm $x

. I saved and closed gedit as instructed. and I now attempt to install youtubetomp3converter using this command:

sudo install youtube2mp3 /usr/local/bin

youtube2mp3 " "mp3-file.mp3"

This error appears in place of downloading the video:

user@user-laptop:~$ sudo install youtube2mp3 /usr/local/bin
[sudo] password for user:
user@user-laptop:~$
user@user-laptop:~$ youtube2mp3 " "mp3-file.mp3"

[youtube] Setting language
[youtube] 75yvtNIWdHU: Downloading video info webpage
[youtube] 75yvtNIWdHU: Extracting video information
[youtube] 75yvtNIWdHU: URL: http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=75yvtNIWdHU&t=vjVQa1PpcFPZ5yQmvHNeeKXNLCr5AXil1IqLd5gl6p0=&eurl=&el=detailpage&ps=default&gl=US&hl=en&fmt=18
ERROR: format not available for video
FFmpeg version SVN-r19352-4:0.5+svn20090706-2ubuntu2.3, Copyright © 2000-2009 Fabrice Bellard, et al.

configuration: --extra-version=4:0.5+svn20090706-2ubuntu2.3 --prefix=/usr --enable-avfilter --enable-avfilter-lavf --enable-vdpau --enable-bzlib --enable-libgsm --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-zlib --disable-stripping --disable-vhook --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-swscale --enable-x11grab --enable-libdc1394 --extra-cflags=-I/build/buildd/ffmpeg-0.5+svn20090706/debian/include --enable-shared --disable-static
libavutil 49.15. 0 / 49.15. 0
libavcodec 52.20. 0 / 52.20. 0
libavformat 52.31. 0 / 52.31. 0
libavdevice 52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
libavfilter 0. 4. 0 / 0. 4. 0
libswscale 0. 7. 1 / 0. 7. 1
libpostproc 51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0
built on Mar 31 2011 18:50:18, gcc: 4.4.1
-acodec: no such file or directory
rm: missing operand
Try `rm --help' for more information.

I don't know why that error continues to appear everytime I attempt to install the software. I already installed ffmpeg on my computer. Here is the website I got the instructions to attempt to download the youtubetomp3converter: http://jeffreyv.hubpages.com/hub/Youtube-to-MP3-on-Ubuntu-Linux

What am I doing wrong?

Edited by hamluis, 01 November 2011 - 01:45 PM.
Moved from All Other Applications to Linux.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pentazoid

Pentazoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:14 PM

anybody got any suggestions?

#3 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:16 PM

Try another video? Update youtube-dl? Make sure you have an up-to-date ffmpeg?

Google changes things in the youtube files sometimes and that messes up youtube-dl. I've run into that a number of times. That would be the first place I look. So try this:

yoube-dl <youtube_file_url>

Once you get it, try playing it (it will be a bunch of letters/numbers, just like in the url, and it will end with .flv):

mplayer <downloaded_file.flv>

That will at least eliminate that script as the problem.

Actually, it almost looks like a dodgy ffmpeg, although it could be due to a corruption in the youtube-dl download headers. You may have to compile your own, reinstall what's there, etc. But try making sure everything is the latest first, and that youtube-dl can download it and you can play it first.

#4 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:59 PM

Being an Ubuntu user myself ( 11.10 ), I just had to try it out. I followed the instructions from the site and couldn't get it to work either. I Googled a lot about it, and after several failures - I found this. This is IF you are using Firefox as your web browser.

This addon worked fine for me - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/easy-youtube-video-downl-10137/

I'm assuming this is what you are trying to accomplish.

Edited by Keith1, 02 November 2011 - 05:04 PM.

#5 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

I didn't try the instructions on the link. But I don't usually convert youtube files like that. I do have scripts for a number of conversions, but converting flv to something else doesn't seem be one of them. Odd. Most of mine deal with changing audio around: to/from flac, mp3, wma, ogg and wav mostly. I could probably come up with one that will convert flv to mp3, mpeg, wma, wmv, wav, etc if I needed to.

Maybe I'll work on that when I get the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users