Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAID 1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 urbanninja

urbanninja

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:14 PM

I recently did a clean install with Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I have 2 internal Seagate 500GB HDDs. Both are split into a 66GB partition and a 400GB partition. I have my OS installed on Disk 0 Partition 1 (66GB). I have data on Disk 0 Partition 2 (400GB) and Disk 1 Partition 2 (400GB). Disk 1 Partition 1 (66GB) is free to be used as a backup. I was going to occasionally clone the entire partition (simple back up), but I've recently decided to use RAID 1 instead. It would be much simpler if it made a copy of everything automatically.

Is is possible for me to use RAID 1 only on the OS partition of the first drive and the Backup partition of the second drive? What software do I use? (I have an external HDD if I need to move the entire OS over to it while I set up the RAID on the internal drives.)

My system info:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

Hi -
This article from wiki.archlinux.org may be of some help, but I found information on this very sketchy. Much relates to Linux type systems
If it is no use, I can try to find another article for you -

Regards -

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:50 PM

Hi again -
Another somewhat similar thread <<-- is also listed in this article.
None of them mention doing it on a Windows 7 system like yours, but you may understant the process.
Please let us know if any of this is useable or not -

Regards -

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:57 PM

Win7 ultimate can perform software raid functions through the OS. The disks will need to be converted to dynamic disks first. This is a one way non-destructive process meaning if you decide you want to go back to basic disks you will have to reformat. Once both disks are converted you can than setup the mirror array using the disk manager by right clicking the empty partition.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users