Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop had 3 viruses - Can't find to Internet!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cadiann

Cadiann

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:29 PM

My laptop started acting funny last night, so I ran a scan with AVG and let it run throughout the night. When I woke up in the morning, the scan was finished. It told me that it had three Trojans, and that it had removed them successfully. I was pretty happy that they were gone, until I found out that I couldn't connect to the internet.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron mini 10. In the bottom corner, where it has the volume, internet, and other apps' icons, it used to have a computer monitor image and a set of four bars, like the signal icon on a cell phone. The bars were gone. That was what I used to connect to the internet all the time, since the computer monitor icon never really worked. So to try fixing the issue, I right-clicked on the computer monitor icon, and clicked repair. It then decided to disable the icon, and removed it from the corner. I went to the Networks section of the Control Panel to re-enable it, and it said "Connection Failed!" and closed.

I'm too afraid to restart the computer, because if I do, I might lose everything on my laptop. It happened before to an older laptop I used to have. It had a virus, I removed it, and it was fine, until I tried restarting it. I have too many important documents and files on my laptop now, that I can't risk losing. I always have a USB stick plugged in to back up files and things as I save them, so I don't have to worry about losing too much anymore. But it's nearly full, and when I tried plugging in another USB stick, it wouldn't acknowledge that it's there.

My main concern is that I'll lose everything. I can always buy a new laptop to put everything on, but if I can't back it up... I don't know what to do. The laptop isn't old; it's only about a year or so. I think this is the first time it's had a virus. It hasn't had any before, as far as I'm aware.

I need help ASAP. If anyone knows what's wrong, or what I can do, please write back as soon as you can. Please and thank you!

Edited by hamluis, 30 October 2011 - 03:08 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

YOU. Yeah, you. Have you played Amnesia: The Dark Descent? Do you know of a moderately priced or a cheap computer that is capable at playing it? Message me! Please and thank you. :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nesrinamb

nesrinamb

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

Well first of all the usb stick might also be infected if you always have it plugged in. Secondly get a offline scanning CD such as avg and scan it again using the CD. Thirdly use a Linux live CD to get whatever you have on the computer off of it.

I recommend using Ubuntu Linux live CD as its the easiest to use to get all your files off the computer and on to another flash drive that you know isn't infected and has enough space to back up everything.

#3 Cadiann

Cadiann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:58 PM

It fixed itself, somehow. Thanks for your input, though. I appreciate it. :)
YOU. Yeah, you. Have you played Amnesia: The Dark Descent? Do you know of a moderately priced or a cheap computer that is capable at playing it? Message me! Please and thank you. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users