Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible IBryte infection?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bobcat13

bobcat13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

Hi All,

I have PDF Creator installed on my PC. Today I was prompted by PDF Creator that an update was available. I clicked on the link in the prompt and was taken to the website where the update could be downloaded (pdfforge).

Unfortunatly instead on clickling on the small grey update box, I accidently clicked on a large green update box which turned out to be a Google Ad. This took me to a site where there was another 'download PDF Creator' icon. I clicked on this, which downloaded something called 'IBrtye Download Manager'. I ran this and it installed PDF Creator (I had to untick many other download options first).

However I thought this was a bit odd, so I googled IBryte, which turned out to be malware. I ran a quick scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, which came up clean, and there is nothing by IBryte listed in the 'uninstall progams' list which I accessed via the control panel or in the process listed by the Task Manager. However I read that this program does a good job of hiding itself. How can I tell if I'm infected?

Thanks for your help

Bobcat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:23 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

Usually IBryte will install itself as a toolbar.
Any presence in any of your browsers?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 bobcat13

bobcat13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:58 AM

Hi Broni,

Thanks for your reply.

It doesn't seem to have altered either of my browsers (Firefox and IE) and nothing by IBryte appears in the add ons list of either browser. Does that mean I have escaped uninfected?

Can IBryte harvest passwords?

Cheers,

Bobcat

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:12 PM

No, I don't think so.
You should be OK.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users