Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat Hdd And Remove Partition

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:21 PM

I have an old 40gb hd from an HP machine. I have it plugged into my new machine as a slave (or maybe cable select, I can't remember!). The old Winxp was on the drive, you know...the version that can only be used with an HP machine :thumbsup: , so I removed it using the format option in winxp pro. Now, I need to delete the partiton and reformat the entire drive, so it's a standard 40gb drive w/no partitions. Part of the drive is ntfs, and the other is fat32 (don't know if that makes a difference or not). I see no point in tossing out the drive, as it's an extra 40gb of storage for my sons comp I'm building (we've got an 80gb drive ordered, should be here soon!). I'll have the secondary drive on there so that photoshop can have a seperate scratch disk than windows.

Any advice and/or help here would be great. Perhaps there's a free program out there someplace that I can download?

Thanks in advance :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:55 PM

ohhhhhh yeah baaaaby !! (austin powers !!! LOL)

http://dban.sourceforge.net/
you can use dariks boot & nuke (free) >>> download the floppy version is easist >> to erase the enitre drive partitions and all !!!

then repartition the drive (you will need to partition you rdrive even if you plan on having just one big 40 gig storage space >>> the partition will be at the end of the drive that's all

here is the how to partition and format within winxp
http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives.htm

****** OH YEAH and there is this excellent one too LOL
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/partition-and-format-a-disk-in-windows/

dont hesitate to ask more questions if needed

regards

joe :thumbsup:

Edited by linderman, 28 January 2006 - 07:07 PM.

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:04 PM

I love Austin Powers!!!!! :thumbsup: Of course, his pick up lines don't work on my wife :flowers:

I formatted the drive (both parts of the partition), but the partition is still there. I'll try out what I read on The elder geek (the last link that you posted linderman) and post back with my results. Hopefully my next post won't include my saying; "So, I clicked OK and then the drive started smoking......" LOL!!!!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:09 PM

Steve:

its the Dariks's boot & nuke that removes the partitions !!

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

youre right his lines dont work on my wife either !!!

:thumbsup:

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:13 PM

Ok, so I clicked OK and then is said "This computer will self destruct in T minus 5....4...3...." Kidding!

I got it, (THANKS JOE!), but now I need to format it so I can install windows on it, but NOT the one from HP (HP = grrrrrrr :thumbsup: ). Do I need to reformat it so it's NTFS or FAT32? I need to know because I've got to put a partition back on it to install w2k pro on a the small partition, then install winxp pro on the rest of the drive. Long story, all legal/legitmate so don't ask :flowers:

Oh, and sorry for the back to back posting, as I'm sure that I'm violating some forum policy or rule (stupid nooblet)!

EDIT: I just saw your last post, and seems as if we were typing our posts at the same time, so scratch the back to back thing (but I'll volunteer to still be a supid nooblet!!!) The elder geek article said to go into windows disk manager and do it from there. I did and it worked, but I still need to reformat it and put a partition back into it.....I just thought, can that be done from windows disk manager?

Edited by stevealmighty, 28 January 2006 - 07:16 PM.

Posted Image

#6 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:47 PM

Windows has to be installed to use the Windows Disk manager ????? you just wiped the drive (erased) and nned to install OS >>>> but first you need partitions and formatting

you can partition and format your drive from within the recovery console rather easily (NTFS) though
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q229716

now I will stir the mud and really confuse the $$$$hit outta you / I personally prefer Fat32 file system providing your hard drive is not larger than 12O gigs AND you dont ever store files larger than 4gigs (dvd movies) Fat32 gets stupid when you try to use files that are larger than 4gig !!! my personal experience is Fat32 is more stable and dependable then NTFS but its a little bit tricker to use Fdisk to partition and format the hard rive then is the partitioning and formatting with Win XP recovery console and NTFS file system ???????

Now some will want to jump in and say you can get Fat32 file system in the Win XP install and recovery console >>>> yep you betcha !!!!!!! but its limited to making your drive partitions no larger than 32 gigs and thats it !@#$%^&*()_ you can have multiple partitions of 32gig maximums but thats stupid when you got a 120 gig drive heheheheh I think Microsoft does this because they dont want to support Fat32 anymore >>> Win XP and NTFS is their bread and butter Now

let me know how you want to proceed and I will try to guide you as best as possible !! LOL

the Red pill or the Blue Pill (Matrix)

Edited by linderman, 29 January 2006 - 08:58 PM.

#7 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:55 PM

win xp format = http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313672

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:08 AM

:thumbsup: *steve scratches his head and drools trying to figure out what he just read...* :flowers:

Kidding! Alright, change #9....The drive is going into my computer now and not my sons. I may even end up redoing my whole machine....so here's the deal--> I'll post again when I get home and tell you how I have my drive partitioned and how it's set up and, then I'll tell you how I'd like to have it set up.....then we'll just go from there.

I just wanted to post again so that you wouldn't think I was ignoring you or was one of these people that join the forum, ask one question then leave without ever saying anything.....

Thanks again!
Posted Image

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:14 PM

Ok, here's how my hdd is set up as of right now;

C: 10 gb w/win2k on it (never ever ever use it though)

F: 118 gb w/xp pro on it (use it as a typical C: drive)

G: 58 gb with Adobe photoshop on it. G: drive is also set as the scratch drive for photoshop, but I've recently found out that Photoshop shouldn't have a scratch on a partition :thumbsup: so, I was wrong setting it up like this, even though it seems to work fine.

I also have a 160 gb external hdd for storage and what not.

What I'm thinking is that I'd like to put the 40 gb drive in and install both w2k and xp on it, then install the 200 gb drive and put photoshop and everything else that I install on that drive (the 200gb one), like programs, games, etc. Would this be worth my while, or just a waste of my time? I had to partition the 200gb drive anyways cuz windows didn't recognize it cuz it was over 132 gb in size :flowers: If I can install both OS's on the smaller 40 gb drive, then I'd have the whole 200 gb drive instead of 3 partitioned drives. ummmm......OMG I'm a friggin idiot. I swear, sometimes I'm rather dense....Don't laugh, but I just realized that I still have some 37gb on my 200 gb drive that's unallocated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: :woot: :huh: OMG! Don't even know how I've missed that for some 2 months that I've had this computer up and running! UGH! Lemme go kick myself! See, now if I was smart, I'd wait to post this and then go and allocate that part. Whatever, damage is done, let it be known that I have an occassional stupid attack.

Lemme pose this question.....what's the best route to go here, as far as hard drive set up....bear in mind that I'd like to have a seperate drive for photoshop to have a scratch disc on that's a seperate drive than windows is on. I'd also like to get away from these partitons. HELP! :cool:
Posted Image

#10 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:07 AM

I've found 20gb is enough for winXP.
I've found that disciplining yourself to leave just what loads when winXP does on the system drive is good practice.

The remaining partitions of, or drives themselves, can function very well with all subsequent applications/programs on it (them).

Meaning in your case a partition for win2000 (say 5 gb)
a partition for your winXP (upgrading win2000 with the winXP might be an option)

The remainder as spaceenough for photoshop, etc.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#11 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:30 PM

So I should put win2k on and then upgrade it to winxp (both being on the 40 gb drive), and the programs that load when windows loads should also go on the 40 gb drive, like vga card, sound card etc. But, adobe photoshop and all my games should go on the 200 gb drive, along with everything else that doesn't load when windows starts.....? Is that right? Bear in mind that I have 2 hdd's....a 40 gb one and a 200 gb one.

Edited by stevealmighty, 31 January 2006 - 01:31 PM.

Posted Image

#12 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:38 PM

Partitions are NOT a bad thing they are your FRIEND >>>>>>

you can use the unallocated hard drive space >>>>> its just a tad more vodoo

what motherboard are you running and the bios revision ??????? but most likely its the lack of Service Pack 2 for Win XP and Service Pack -3 for Win 2K that enforces the 132 gig drive limit >>>> but that childs play fixing that !!!!

I would do as above poster has suggested >>>>> I would run 20 gig partitions for each Operating system you intend to run >>>> then all driver installs & hardware drivers will go into their respective partitions >>>> also I have found anti virus programs work better if installed on the OS partition

when sitting on the throne : print and read this >>> dont do it this way because I have a FAR easier approach and you wont even need the chikens feet and toad blood !!!!!! but this article gives your the reasons and why fors to your current situtation
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._slipstream.asp

Edited by linderman, 31 January 2006 - 04:40 PM.

#13 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:01 AM

My mobo is an Abit....cheap, i know :thumbsup: I've updated the drivers to the latest and greatest that Abit had, so that's all up to date.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.....I'm not sure if I want to install that 40 gig drive and go through the whole re-install deal or not.....if only the computer fairy would show up while I'm sleeping and do it for me :flowers:
Posted Image

#14 Sprite_Feedback

Sprite_Feedback

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:09 PM

So I should put win2k on and then upgrade it to winxp (both being on the 40 gb drive), and the programs that load when windows loads should also go on the 40 gb drive, like vga card, sound card etc. But, adobe photoshop and all my games should go on the 200 gb drive, along with everything else that doesn't load when windows starts.....? Is that right? Bear in mind that I have 2 hdd's....a 40 gb one and a 200 gb one.

The 200GB is bound to be much faster than the 40GB. In this case i would put all your programmes on the 200 and maybe use the 40 for the picture files that you edit in photoshop.

A stratch disk is only any good if it is on another drive that is the same speed as the drive the programme is on. It is always best to put the OS and programmes on the fastest drive.

I currently have 740GB of hdd space on this machine and it is taking me ages to work out how to set up the partitions on it but what i state above still stands.

g

#15 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:59 AM

Good point...it's an older drive and TBH I'm not sure if it's 5400 or 7200 rpm..............i'm still waiting on that darned computer fairy..... :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users