Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need use for old iMac G4

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

Hello all. About a year ago I picked up an iMac G4, and I believe it is one of the single best looking computers ever created. I can't help but to whisper "swivel" every time I touch the monitor :) . However, I have a problem: I don't know what to do with it!

First off, my primary computing needs are covered by my MacBook Pro. Secondly, the iMac came with OS 10.1 (I believe), to put that in context it still comes packaged with Internet Explorer. (Btw, IE on a Mac shows some weird stuff when you go to Facebook).

My two big priorities are what role can it play and what software should I back that role up with?

I have tried putting Linux on it (I got Ubuntu 9 compiled for PowerPC installed on it, but seem to have problems with anything later than that). I have also considered leaving OS X on it (if nothing else it can support older Mac PowerPC applications, or devices with drivers that weren't updated for the Intel architecture.)

The next big thing for me is the role. I can see two primary role groups: offline or online. Offline means I can use older but still sturdy software and accomplish a lot, but not have a lot of networking capabilities (it takes a surprising amount of updates to keep up with the current Internet!). Offline roles I thought might work well would be as a dedicated typing station or media importer (I have an older scanner that would fit well with this role).

Thoughts?
(Instructor) You put a Linux machine within a Windows machine within a Mac? That's great! Now where is that paper on BitTorrents vulnerabilities that was due last week?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

Well first things first what are the specs of the machine? How much ram does it have? How big is the hard drive. Are you willing to maybe spend a little money on it? It can still be a good computer. Heck I run a little iBook g4 (with a ram and hard drive upgrade of course.) But the one thing I suggest is to get a copy of either os x tiger or leopard as those two are the most supported builds at this time for older apps. Now when I say older apps I mean apps that have been updated but you can get away with using an older version that works with PowerPC. Such as Microsoft office.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 djjolietjake

djjolietjake

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

I have a G4 Power PC 500 that I use to watch movies and listen to music... If you can connect it to a newer tv (via VGA cable), you could do that...

#4 Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The computer whisperer

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:12 AM

Make it a server of some kind? Print? File? Web?... Enough things to be served.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users