Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 across two disks -- can I recombine?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DrJoe1

DrJoe1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:18 AM

Hi,

I was given a Pavilion DV9000z by my sister who had purchased a replacement for herself. She wiped the two installed hard drives and clean installed windows 7. It appears that there is a 100MB systemm reserved partiion on one disk (total size 320GB, the rest of which was unpartitioned when I got it), and the operating system was loaded on the second disk (120 GB).

I had a dead Vista laptop which had a 100GB SATA drive. I wanted to reformat it to have as a sppare. If I pull either one of the original drives out it won't boot. If I take out the 320 GB drive (with the 100MB partition) the laptop either goes black screen (if I move the 120 GB drive into the primary bay) or tries to boot Vista (if I put the scavanged hard drive in the primary bay), or tells me operating system files are lost (if I pull the 120 GB drive and replace it with the scavanged drive).

So it appears to me that the 100MB partition on the 320 GB drive is waht the system is booting from, but that it won't load Windows 7 unless the second drive is also there.

Hopefully I haven't confused everyone by now -- I know it took me a long time to convince myself what was going on.

So... My sister didn't send me the operating system disks.

Is there any way to move the system reserved partition to the 120 GB drive? Or the operating system files to the 320 GB drive? It scares me that if either drive dies, the system won't boot. Or am I totally misinterpreting the behavior I am seeing?

Thanks,

Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

According to HP: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3224049&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

Your computer has no driver support for anything but Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Vista.

So with the computer booted with Windows 7 can you take a screenshot of the Drive Management screen

Posted Image

#3 DrJoe1

DrJoe1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:23 AM

I'm attaching a screen capture of my computer management.

The computer did originally ship with Vista. HP does not support the model with drivers. However, many people have upgraded to Windows 7 and drivers are available -- either from HP, the OEM, or Microsoft. The only thing I haven't been able to get to work with Windows 7 is the remote control (HSTNN-PRO RC6 windows media center remote).

All I want to do is pull one of my drives, install the scavanged drive, boot, and reformat it.

Thanks,

Joe

Attached Files

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

Which drive is the scavenged drive?

In order to boot from the 320 Gig drive with the 120Gig Drive removed or vice versa you must first install Windows 7 on the drive you want to boot from. This will require a reformat of either drive.

#5 DrJoe1

DrJoe1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:37 PM

Neither one is the scavenged drive. I can't boot to windows 7 if I pull either of these drives out and install the scavenged drive. I don't have any other way to mount a SATA hard drive -- I have multiple IDE/USB adaptors, but nothing for SATA.

Joe

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

Do you have the Recovery CD's for your HP?

Also:

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Edited by cryptodan, 30 October 2011 - 04:58 PM.

#7 Troycity

Troycity

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:53 PM

Hello drjoe1,

You mentioned that your sister did a clean install of windows 7 (I presume on the 320gb Hard drive, according to your snapshot), my question to you is have you tried to simply boot from the 320gb and pres F8 at start up and see if you can access the repair option from the menu ?

#8 DrJoe1

DrJoe1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:49 AM

Hi again everyone!

Here is my Speccy Link: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/va5C2XDtpnJmZCBxuaP2gSh

That's a cool little ap.

So I'm going to start over.

My system has two hard drives (in two hard drive bays), both SATA. Windows 7 is installed on the smaller drive. I want to mount a third drive & reformat to keep as a spare (I may use acronis Migrate Easy to clone the operating system drive onto the spare). If I pull either drive out and install the spare drive, the system won't boot. Either it tries to load Vista (which is on the spare drive), or it boots to a black screen, or it tells me operating system files are missing. I have not yet tried booting with only one drive installed (and by now I am confused as to which drive bay it would need to be in -- the bay location sets the primary/secondary status, right?).

I have no rescue discs, and would need to get the installation discs from my sister. Windows 7 is not officially supported for DV9000z by HP. However, many people have upgraded this model series to Windows 7. There are a few drivers you need to install on your own and other instructions in HP's support forum at http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-systems-and/Windows-7-Upgrade-Guide-for-dv6000-dv9000-models/td-p/17981

I have everything functioning in Windows 7 except for two problems (any insight on these would be greatly appreciated!).

1) The system is an HP Pavillion Entertainment PC and as such, shipped with a small remote control. HP Part No. HSTNN-PRO7 RC6. It communicates via an IR receiver on the fronto of the laptop. I have not been able to get it to work at all (and yes, I tried changing the remote's battery.) I have followed a number of people suggestions regarding installing HP QuickPlay & QuickLaunch to no effect. This isn't important, but would be interesting to fix. I don't see anything in device manager that refers to the remote or IR receiver, and the section on IR Receiver in "System Information" is blank.

2) Wireless is killing me. Any time the unit comes out of sleep mode, the wireless connection says "no internet access", and loses the ability to connect to the net. There is no "repair" option in Windows 7, and disabling/enabling the wireless card does not fix it, nor does disconnecting & reconnecting (often (not sure if I should say "always") after disconnecting it WON'T reconnect at all). The only fix I have found is powering down and restarting. This is a MAJOR headache.

Thanks everyone,

Joe

Edited by DrJoe1, 31 October 2011 - 10:12 AM.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:48 AM

Well your computer is working well for Windows 7, there is just a few recommendations that I have based on your speccy. I would upgrade the ram to 4Gigs since it will run better under 64bit.

I would jot down that you have a Broadcom Wireless Card, and an nVidia based Ethernet Controller.

The rest should be detected by Windows upon Installation.

#10 DrJoe1

DrJoe1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:19 AM

Upgrading to 4 gigs is on my list of things-to-do. The official specs for my mother board say that 2 gigs is the max, but there are people who have reported successfully installing two, 2gig sticks. The drivers are properly installed for the Broadcom wireless card and the nVidia ethernet controller -- both were delivered automatically via Windows Update.

Joe

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

I would recommend not using Windows Update for the drivers. Instead download them from HP or http://www.nvidia.com

#12 stillwaters

stillwaters

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:44 PM

Hi!

To solve the problem of your wireless not working when you come out of sleep mode go into your power settings (in the Control Panel) go into advanced settings, and set the wireless adapter for "Maximum Performance." This should prevent the computer from shutting off the wireless card when it goes to sleep, but it will draw more power.

#13 DrJoe1

DrJoe1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

Already done, and it still loses internet connection when waking from sleep.

In power management:

Wireless adapter power settings Power Savings Mode: Maximum performance (on battery & plugged in).

In the wireless adapter properties "advanced" tab:

Minimum Power Consumption: Disabled
Power Output: 100%

It still loses the ability to connect to the internet after waking up from sleep.

I'm ready to disable sleep mode.

From what I have read this may be some sort of DNS problem?

Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users