Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Error

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 How Does It Work

How Does It Work

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:51 PM

I just got a blue screen error. I couldn't see the complete message because it was cut off, but this is what I wrote down:
"Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout has failed.

If this is the first time you are seeing this, restart your computer.
If this screen appears again, make sure new hardware/software is installed correctly.
Disable/remove new hardware.
Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
Technical info:
***STOP:0x00000116 (0xFFFFFA800C081010, 0xFFFFF880044074C, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002)

***atikmpag.sys
Address FFF8800440744C base at FFFFF88004400000, Date stamp 4de59391

Collecting data for crash dump.
Initializing disk for crash dump.
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk 100.
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support."

One thing I'm not sure of is if those are all zeros or ones. Also in 0xFFFFF880044074C I'm not sure if that second to last digit is a four or something else from what I wrote.

What I was doing before this happened:
I had a few tabs of Internet Explorer up. One of my relatives was going on trivia sites, the other sites I'd been on before such as Amazon. I think the Discovery Channel site was open, too.
I had a few Open Office documents open.
I had a windows movie maker project open, too, but I think that was closed before this happened.

I left these windows all open for about half an hour to an hour. When I scrolled my mouse over the Internet icon in the bottom of the screen, I saw one of the Internet Explorer Windows, so I clicked on it to re-open the Internet. Suddenly everything froze. It almost looked like a small version of the Internet window looked very faded in the background of the Windows 7 background.
A few seconds later the screen went completely black.
Then I got the blue screen message.
This is the first time I've gotten a blue screen error on this PC. I did not install any new hardware or software. I was not doing anything with the BIOS.

I rebooted in safe mode with networking.
I haven't checked anything yet since I don't know what to check for.

After I post this, I will run CCleaner, Malware Bytes and Super Anti Spyware. Not sure what to do next.

My System:

HP Pavilion
x64 based PC
Intel Core™2 Quad CPU
Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz
2327Mhz
4 Cores
4 Logical processors
RAM 8 GB

Windows 7 Home Premium
6.17601 Service pack 1 Build 7601

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:06 AM

atikmpag.sys is the AMD graphics driver. Usually to fix this is by updating the drivers for it. I need the full HP Pavillion model which you can find under the laptop where there is a sticker that shows it.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 How Does It Work

How Does It Work
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

Thank you, killerx525! I'm glad to see it isn't anything major. My system model is NP238AA-ABA e9107c
It's a desktop.

BTW, the two full spyware scans came back clean. The only odd thing was that when I ran CCleaner it had a larger than normal amount for memory dump: over 600,000kb.

Edited by How Does It Work, 30 October 2011 - 12:02 PM.

#4 How Does It Work

How Does It Work
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

I looked for the driver to update it and this is what I found:

Display adapters: ATI Radeon HD 4350
Device status: This device is working properly
Driver version: 8.851.0.0
I clicked the button to "Search automatically for updated driver software."
And the dialog box said "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date."

That's really odd.
I wonder what the problem was then.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:18 AM

This is the site to check <<-- If you want to find Display adaptersfor ATI Radeon HD 4350
A Windows click will never fully check for the most suitable updated drivers. Only check the makers site.
Windows will only confirm that you have a "suitable" driver installed, not always the updated versions.

Do not click the "Run a FREE Scan for Outdated Drivers " or other similar links on the page, only click on Your O/S or model.

Also please run the BlueScreenView link that Allan has requested -

Thank You -

#7 How Does It Work

How Does It Work
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:58 PM

Thank you, Allan. I downloaded BlueScreenView. I'm not sure how to get it to run a scan. When I open it, it's pretty much blank. I'm attaching the file of what it looks like.

Attached Files

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:27 AM

Okay, apparently the error wasn't logged. If that's the only time you got it I wouldn't worry about it. But as noknojon said above, you should visit the ATI website and download and install the latest driver for your video card (follow the instructions on that site to uninstall your current driver first). NEVER download drivers from any source other than the OEM websites - do not use Windows Update to obtain drivers and do not try to update them via Device Manager.

#9 How Does It Work

How Does It Work
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

Thanks, noknojon! Good suggestion. There are many drivers on there that I don't have - all the ones between 8.8 and 11.9. Do I just need to update the latest one or any of the ones in between? I see "Catalyst Application Profiles" version 11.9 CAP 1 and "Catalyst Software Suite" version 11.9. I'm thinking I should download both of those. The others all look like prior versions.

Allan, that may have happened because I had run CCleaner right after I made my initial post here. That must have been the large memory dump that it had cleaned. I suppose I ought to reconfigure my CCleaner settings so it doesn't do that in the future. I'll have to figure out which things should be automatically cleaned and which ones should only sometimes be cleaned.

#10 How Does It Work

How Does It Work
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:02 AM

I accidentally downloaded the one for 32 bit and uninstalled that, downloaded the correct 64-bit version of Catalyst Software Suite and installed it, rebooted.

When I go to device manager, it still says that my driver version is 8.892.0.0 even though I downloaded version 11.9
The date of the driver has changed to 9/8/2011
The name has changed to ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 series

Edited by How Does It Work, 06 November 2011 - 04:03 AM.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:51 AM

Did you Uninstall the old driver first (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx)? And yes, you need only download and install the latest driver, not all of them.

And last, please stop using ccleaner.

#12 How Does It Work

How Does It Work
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

Thank you, Allan! I appreciate your bearing with me. No, I hadn't uninstalled the old one, so I followed the instructions on the link you provided. I couldn't find the ATI Catalyst Install Manager. I then searched for "catalyst" and I found the AMD Catalyst Control Center which showed me there is an even newer version of the driver - 11.10. Attached File  catalyst control center.jpg   94.74KB   1 downloads

I then looked under Programs and Features and saw that I had an AMD Catalyst Control Center with the date of several hours ago. I followed the instructions to uninstall that and rebooted.

Then I installed the new driver suggested by the AMD Catalyst Control Center - I installed "Catalyst Software Suite" not the one that says "profiles." Attached File  amd download.jpg   117.76KB   1 downloads

Upon rebooting:

In device manager:
The driver version has updated to 8.902.0.0 even though I updated with 11.10
The driver date says 10/12/2011

In programs and features:
I now have the new AMD Catayst Install Manager.

Edited by How Does It Work, 06 November 2011 - 03:08 PM.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:04 PM

Okay, that's fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users