Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton "PC Checkup"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DottieR

DottieR

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

Norton "PC Checkup" says says I am infected. I downloaded this free program. It says I have 93 threats. It only shows me the first 5 which are .s.clickability.com, Cookie:dorothy@Microsoftwlsearchcr, Cookie:dorothy@ru4.com, Cookie:dorothy@revsci.net,
Cookie:dorothy@at.atwolal.com\

I guess I have to buy the program to find out the rest. I can't believe these are bad. Is there any point to keeping this on my computer? If I did have a problem, would it be listed first where I could see it?

I run Avast. SuperAntiSpyware, SpyBot and Ad-Aware, free-editions, all find nothing.

Thanks,
Dorothy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:19 PM

Cookies are not infections. Super Anti Spyware does the same thing. It detects cookies like they're a big deal and have you remove them. I wish they would stop doing that. It just confuses the average user.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

Super Anti Spyware does the same thing. It detects cookies like they're a big deal and have you remove them. I wish they would stop doing that. It just confuses the average user.

You can control whether or not you want SuperAntiSpyware to scan cookies or not. I manage my own cookies and do not allow SAS to scan them every time.

If you want to turn off cookie scanning in SAS, right click the system tray icon and open the control panel. Then select scanning control tab. The sixth check box down is 'Scan for tracking cookies'. Untick the box and it won't scan cookies. If at some point you want to be more through and have it scan, just retick the box before your next scan.

@DottieR: I too agree it seems that you have an overly aggressive scan going on. Looks like it's only identifying cookies.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

Prior to reading the post by Dottie I had never heard of Norton PC Checkup. Being the curious type I decided to install it on a temporary basis in order to find out what it does.

Here are the results of the scan:

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see it tells me I have no virus protection and the Windows firewall is enabled.
That is incorrect. I use Eset Smart Security antivirus and firewall. Both are enabled.
The Windows firewall is disabled.
Windows updates are not scheduled because I have it set to download and notify me.

Virus and Spyware: I was told there were 78 threats. The five listed were cookies.

I then scanned with SAS and of course it found the cookies. Next I deleted the cache which includes getting rid of all cookies.

I re-ran the Norton scan immediately. Same results for Protection.

Virus and Spyware-9 threats found. Again the five listed were cookies-the same ones the first scan found.

Another deletion of cookies (even though there were none to delete but I wanted to be thorough), another Norton scan and once again 9 threats and the same cookies.

As far as I could see there is no option to purchase this product. What Norton wants you to do is purchase one of their security programs. If what you are using works well for you it would be a waste of money to fall for the scare tactics PC Checkup is using.

Now it's time to uninstall the program.

Edit to add: It tells me System Restore is turned off and does not detect when the last restore point was created.
It is turned on and the last restore point was created earlier today.

another edit to correct a spelling error.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 October 2011 - 11:04 PM.

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:57 AM

Talk about pathetic marketing techniques.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:58 AM

Talk about pathetic marketing techniques.

This borders on the nefarious practices of thos CleanMyPC, SpeedMYPC, registry cleaners, etc that offer "free" downloads that scan your PC and announce you have X problems that only our wonder product can correct---for the low low price of $39.99 or whatever...:thumbdown:

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHAME ON YOU, NORTON!:ranting:

#7 DottieR

DottieR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:20 AM

I wouldn't have bother with it except I found a good review. Must be a site sponsored by Norton.

http://techreviews.in/norton-pc-checkup-free-system-checkup-of-your-pc/

Anyway I am uninstalling it.

Thanks for all the comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users