Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with LCD Screen?!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 XuzI

XuzI

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:52 PM

Something really weird happened today. I have two monitors, a CRT and a LCD. I've always used my LCD on my gateway computer. It worked today, I unplugged it and plugged it into my dell computer which is a lot older, and now the LCD only works on the dell computer, but my CRT monitor will work for both.

I just want the LCD to work for the gateway and crt for the dell, but its the other way around and I can't seem to fix it.

The LCD is a Acer 15.6" LCD. It says "NO SIGNAL" and finally I got it to say "Input not supported".

Please help!!! Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:10 PM

Providing the Gateway computer model specs where the LCD monitor is usually connected would help.

Tekken

#3 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:01 PM

Providing the Gateway computer model specs where the LCD monitor is usually connected would help.

Gateway DX4200. I have tried both the on-board connection and to the graphics card. Neither was a success. The exact monitor is a Acer X163w.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:07 PM

Gateway support for troubleshooting desktops http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BPC/ck2007050376.shtml

Tekken

#5 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:14 AM

Gateway support for troubleshooting desktops http://support.gateway.com/s/Checklists/BPC/ck2007050376.shtml

But the weird thing is that it works with one monitor but not with the other...But both monitors work? I even had the monitor that no longer works on it working on it for the longest time until I plugged it into another machine.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:30 AM

I got it to say "Input not supported"

That commonly means a refresh rate is set outside of the range supported by the LCD monitor. CRT monitors can usually handle a wider range of sync frequencies.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

I got it to say "Input not supported"

That commonly means a refresh rate is set outside of the range supported by the LCD monitor. CRT monitors can usually handle a wider range of sync frequencies.

The LCD as of now currently does not work for any computer. It keeps saying "NO SIGNAL".

How do I fix this? I really need it for my main computer...

#8 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

Well I chatted with acer support and turns out I would have to ship the item back which would cost more than its even worth, so I guess I can either spend money to get it fixed, buy another VGA to VGA cord and see if that was the problem, or cut my losses and be out a monitor.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:56 PM

The LCD as of now currently does not work for any computer.

Sorry, you'd said "now the LCD only works on the dell computer". So it no longer works on the Dell either? As you've said, trying a known good VGA cable is one thing to eliminate - I guess the CRT has a captive VGA cable so it can't be swapped?

If it then still doesn't work on a computer which has its refresh rate set to 60Hz (the monitor won't work if it's set higher (70Hz, 75Hz etc), then it looks like the input has failed. Repair for this would not be economic.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:26 PM

Hi XuzI,

Check the source on your monitor menu and make sure it is set for the correct source, VGA, DVI, or HDMI...

Also check the resolution setting..The following is from Acer support regarding the error message you recieve

"When a monitor displays "Input not supported", the display resolution is set too high. To resolve this, change the resolution to a supported resolution of the monitor.

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/monitor/0000/Acer/AC501/AC501faq12.shtml

#11 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:04 PM

I'm picking up a cable tomorrow hopefully so maybe that will fix the problem.

I guess I'll let you guys know.

#12 XuzI

XuzI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:35 AM

I have fixed the issue. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users