Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Please!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tina2006

Tina2006

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:38 PM

:thumbsup: I seemed to have nuked my d drive somehow. I can't use the cd player and I'm getting some error messages. This is what I see when I turn the computer on:

Pri Master GAS54812 Maxtor 90843D4
Ultra DMA Mode-2
S.M.A.R.T.
capable but disabled

Sec Master Drive ATAPI incompatible

I have a cd stuck in there and the computer tells me "Cannot play. No Cd Rom attached to this computer"

I am desperate, please help. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:15 PM

It seems you have the CD player (CD-ROM or CD-RW?) cabled as a slave to your Hard Drive (the Maxtor) and the s.m.a.r.t. feature (which reports on HD stability issues) is configured "off".

While using an optical drive as a slave to a harddrive can be done, it isn't the ideal way to have
these drives "communicate" to the mainboard.

Have you ever been inside your PC's case?
Have you ever viewed the BIOS screen?
Have you ever been in safe mode?

What type pC is this ... make & model number?

More info can make it easier to assist you. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:56 PM

Hello, First a cioy and paste from the original post:

Pri Master GAS54812 Maxtor 90843D4
Ultra DMA Mode-2
S.M.A.R.T.
capable but disabled

Sec Master Drive ATAPI incompatible

If you can read this possibly two ways.

One way he has two cables and both have drives set on the master drive select and should work ok.

Second One cable with the hard drive set to master and the Sec set to master - this will never work.

Not knowing how much experience Tina2006 has with the inside working of a computer the best way to explain this is this way.

Drives have a section called drive select and are sectioned off usually with two rows of pins and either one or two jumpers on them. where the primary drive s/b set to Master and the Secondary drive is set to Slave. The jumpers can be removed and replaced very easily but it can be a problem setting them up correctly some times. Usually ther e is a diagram on the drive label or markings on the case of the drive that are labeled, MA = Master, SL = Slave, DS = Drive Select.

WIth out being able to diagram due to space constraints here is a problem. If Tina2006 needs some help that can only come from experience I would suggest contacting a computer user group or someone she knows that might be able to help.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:00 PM

Oh One other thing. Since this is Windows 2000 the driver for the CD-ROM drive will more than likely have to be reinstalled so have eoither the Windows 2000 install cd or the disk with the driver from the manufacturer.

#5 Tina2006

Tina2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:46 AM

:thumbsup: Thank you all so much. I haven't fixed the problem yet, but I had it temporarily fixed for a day. I had downloaded a script with cd deluxe and all was fine and then it did it again. Back to square one. I'm not sure what I did the first time but it fixed it for a time. When I download the same thing it says it's stored in windows explorer but I don't which one it is or how to run/install it. I tried safe mode too but no help. Can someone guide me from here? The first time it worked it put the cd deluxe in C drive, or created one but it's gone now. Thanks again :flowers:

Edited by Tina2006, 01 February 2006 - 01:16 AM.

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 01 February 2006 - 03:10 AM

I seemed to have nuked my d drive somehow.

we'll call this your optical drive ... removable storage ... CD-ROM (or CD-RW) ... the D:\

we'll call the harddrive ... local disk C ... fixed storage ... system drive ... volume C (all are the same) ... the C:\

I had downloaded a script with cd deluxe and all was fine and then it did it again.

I read this and think: "she downloaded from online a small file called a script that is somehow connected to a CD deluxe program or application" but I could be wrong. No mention of a website ...

Then I think, well maybe "she uploaded a small file (script) from a CD (deluxe) by placing the CD in her D:\ and when it displayed the content on that CD, she clicked a file (following a prompt) and it installed on her C:\"

But ... that D:\ is semi-nuked ... so that couldn't be.

I have a cd stuck in there and the computer tells me "Cannot play. No Cd Rom attached to this computer"

I scatch my head, and think ...

When I download the same thing it says it's stored in windows explorer ...

which leads to believe once again it was downloaded from somewhere online.
Windows Explorer does offline to your computer what Internet Explorer does online to the web.
It browses ... searchs and finds and shows you and lets you do things with what you see.

If it already is in a place that doing it a second time tells you it's stored in windows explorer might mean that it has to be re-done... maybe slightly differently than you did it the first time.

But Downloads ... (save to disk) ... go to a place on that C:\ that is a "default" location.
It can be also "configured" differently from one user's PC to another.

I have a default location called C:\Documents and Settings\joe\Desktop.
It would show up on my desktop.

Other "default" locations can be:

C:\Documents and Settings\"Tina"\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\"that file"
C:\Documents and Settings\"Tina"\My Documents\"that file"
C:\Documents and Settings\"Tina"\Local Settings\Temp\"that file"

or possibly other places that these examples of "filepaths" pinpoint.

"that file" has a name.

To find it we need to know what it is called.

(Heck, that would be easy if I could visit some website and she could point out what it was that she d/l'd.)

We could simply put the name into the search box that we get when we use "Search"

Press your Start Button > then the Search icon > then choose All Files & Folders

Its best to setup the search function before we try to find it though.

Expand (click the downfacing ^ marks) at More Advanced Options,
then tick Advanced Options,
tick Search system folders,
tickSearch hidden files and folders,
and tick Search Subfolders.

Now "that file" name can be typed (or pasted) into the top search box with the I-bar in it.

Just press the"search" button and away it goes to find the file path of "that file".

If you have winXP.
If you know the name of "that file".
If it is not a driver.

Drivers are not found this way.

... but I don't *know* which one it is or how to run/install it.

Lets try to know what it is (perhaps where it's at, too) b4 we go into running/installing it.

:inlove: Find a name & search for it

:thumbsup: If it is found, we go to :flowers: If it is not, we go to a different :trumpet:

Hope we can keep making progress. :cool:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users