Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Family laptop stops dead in middle of bootup.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Poogle

Poogle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

Hey. We've got a Toshiba Laptop that I've fixed in various ways over the years by googling any problems, usually finding that somebody else has already posted and somebody else has solved it. Always been thankful for this. Now for the first time I've come across something that nobody else seems to have had fixed by the collective tech network of the Web:

Problem: Bootup begins by powering on. Toshiba screen displays. "Press F2 for system utilities, press F12 for Boot Menu." as usual. should usually go to a windows XP Home loadup screen. Instead, the screen goes to a black-and-gray console screen, with the letter "j" and a flashing cursor in the top left. The only keys that do anything from here are Ctrl-alt-del, which restart the same process from the Toshiba Screen.

System Utilities or Boot Menu doesn't seem to help. I know I want to boot from the HDD. I select this and it still ends in an innocuous letter "j" and no signs of further booting. All the components seem to be present in System Utilities. My HDD is definitely there.

Upon Googling "bootup letter j" I find that this is most often experienced when you're booting Windows or Ubuntu from a USB stick, both of which seem exotic to me. We're just booting Windows XP from the HDD same as we have.

Changes made before the problem: None major. A new external power adaptor (the usual box-and-cord) was put into use 3-4 days before the problem showed up. Some unused personal files were deleted two weeks ago, clearing about 10% of the hard drive. That's about it.

Any ideas, and anything I can further provide?

I think some other people have had this problem. If a fix is provided here it'd probably be referred to by a lot of thankful people.

Thanks.

Edited by Poogle, 29 October 2011 - 02:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

Worth A Look, IMO

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 October 2011 - 05:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users