Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spywareblaster; unable to create Host backup now

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

Good afternoon everyone,

I have been using Spywareblaster for about a year now and have never had any problem when going to the Host's Safe, and clicking to create a new backup point...until today.

On this occasion, the program generated the message, "Hosts file not found." This has never occurred before. I am not sure this could be related to a problem I posted about on Oct. 27th in the Web Browsing Forum here.

(The post was regarding my sudden inability to access the McAfee Community Forum website, which has been resolved now thanks to the help of several forum members here).

Any advice/information regarding this Spywareblaster issue would be most appreciated1 :unsure:

Edited by spc3rd, 29 October 2011 - 01:01 PM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,791 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:45 PM

Did you view your new replacement hosts file in the proper folder when it was redone? The only the presumption I can make is that it is not there from the message: "Hosts file not found."

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

Thanks very much for the response, Animal!

To be frank...all I have ever done with this Spywareblaster program is periodically create a Hosts Safe backup and periodic System Snapshot. I only acquired the program after seeing quite a few recommendations regarding its usefulness.

Forgive me...but to be blunt...I'm a dummy when it comes to understanding stuff like this. I just got through removing the existing Spywareblaster program and re-downloading it again.

Perhaps the best thing for me is just to stay away from programs like this altogether. I seem to encounter more problems and headaches than they are worth! Having to keep asking others for help with every little issue gets old...very quickly!

Thank you for your time and help though!

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,791 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:20 PM

To avoid the need for a 'back up' copy of your hosts file why not try MVPS HOSTS. http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

This is the hosts file I use. It has a self extracting batch file feature. This way if you need to replace it, you can just extract a new copy from the site. We track when they update the hosts file here at Bleeping computer in this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic123980.html

This way you will know when it's time to update.

Hope this helps.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

Hi again Animal!

I went to a Microsoft site and went through some type of hosts file "fix it" procedure. I also (on a recommendation), removed the Spywareblaster program from my computer altogether.

At present, I have Avast! AV (free), MBAM Pro running in real-time. SAS is on-demand only. I use Outpost Firewall as well. Hopefully no further issues will surface. By the way...how do I find the hosts file on my computer?

Many thanks again for your time and help!

spc3rd

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,791 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

You can right click the start button. Explore > then follow this path: Local Disk C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

Thanks very much once again, Animal!

spc3rd

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,791 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

You're quite welcome.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,779 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:37 AM

I recommend using SpywareBlaster for its primary task, a program that restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone". SpywareBlaster prevents the installation of ActiveX-based malware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software and blocks tracking cookies.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:51 AM

I appreciate your additional feedback, Quietman7!

spc3rd

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,779 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif