Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCI-e slot not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vampslord

vampslord

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:03 AM

Hey!

I let my computer go to sleep at night. I came back, last week, wake it up, but go a no signal message on my monitor and i can still hear windows booting up when i reboot, but still nothing on my monitor. I tried every thing i could think off. remove battery, reset bios, take my 8800gt alpha edition video card off, put it back in, no succes. I can use the onboard video card no problem.

So i tought my video card was blowned. I went and bought Asus GTX560. Install it, only to get the exact same result, no signal. I tried every thing again and again.

It just wont detect any card in my PCI-E slot. It seems to have happened to a lot of people.

Some say it happened after installing the new win7 update. I cant remember if it was right after it happened, but i remember doing and update not long before. since then it keep installing randomly some update whenever i reboot, even tough it did already.

Here is my setup with belarc advisor. I also have Everest if needed.

Thx!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

When booting, do you get the BIOS screen at all? If not, then your PCI Express slot is probably out.
To test if there is no power, if the card does not require PCI-Express power adapter, see if the fan spins on your card when booting - if not, probably no power to PCI-Express.

Onboard video works = not a windows issue, likely, though could be a driver issue in windows with the driver for your card?

#3 vampslord

vampslord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:23 PM

The fan spin. Really fast and noisy almost every time it's plug-in. My bet is that since there is a problem with the PCI-E, it's spinning too fast because the pc not telling it to run at X rpm. But it also does not spin too fast and run normally sometime.

No i dont get a BIOS screen at all when i try to boot with the video card. Even my monitor wont let me check it's own options.

My BIOS option where reset to default (F9), did 2-3 time after trying different thing in it, like telling it to boot with PCI-E(PEG) There is some option though that say none connected and some that PCI-E option are grey out.

How can i take a screenshot of my BIOS? Is it possible?

#4 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:25 AM

Camera + other computer is the only way I know of.

However, if some of your options are telling you that PCI-E has nothing connected? Port's bad, especially if that behavior is mimicked when a known-good card is inserted.

Sorry.

#5 vampslord

vampslord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

I found out what was wrong. I plug-in a 8600gt card taht do not require another source of power (the extra wire you have to plug on more powerful card) and it worked perfectly. SO basicly it's my PSU that had a decrease of power output.

So it's solve.

Thx all for trying.

#6 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:31 PM

Wow never even crossed my mind. Congrats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users