Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse behaving weirdly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TechBuzzard

TechBuzzard

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:53 PM

Hi, I was using a Dell USB mouse with my Dell Laptop. My OS is Windows XP SP3. In the last few days the mouse began to act strange. Sometimes it does the "right click + drag" function and sometimes it double-clicks without me manually performing any mouse functions. This issue is not consistent as it happens quite frequently on somedays and only once in a while on other days. I changed the USB slots, but the result is the same. I purchased a new mouse (By-Logic which is a chinese company) and the issue persists. I even changed the right and left click functions for both the mouses and could see that the right button is acting weirdly most of the time.

I did boot into safe mode and on that day there was not much of an issue. I checked in Process Explorer if there were some suspicious processes, but there is none.

I am not sure whether this is a faulty mouse issue, faulty USB port issue or any issues with Win XP. The other devices are working perfectly fine on the USB slots.

It is happening now when I am typing this post and believe me it's really frustrating.

It would be great if anyone can help me on this issue. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:08 AM

Hi TechBuzzard,

Check that ClickLock is not selected in mouse properties..."Clicklock enables you to highlight or drag without holding down the mouse button"...when enabled it locks when you click the mouse button and releases when you click again...This would make it appear random

Pauline

#3 TechBuzzard

TechBuzzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

Hi Pauline,

Thanks for your quick reply. As per your suggestion, I did check the "click lock" option in mouse properties, but it is not enabled. In fact, this is a new mouse which I am using and it's hardly 5 days old. But, it's behaving exactly like my previous mouse. So I am not sure whether this is a faulty mouse issue. It gets extremely frustrating when it happens.

Thanks.

#4 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:59 PM

Hi TechBuzzard,

Have you tried the mouse on another computer ? If it works correctly on another computer then it will most likely be a setting somewhere on your computer.

Check that you do not have Caret browsing enabled..see this link for information on Caret browsing
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/internet-explorer-tips/turn-on-caret-browsing-in-internet-explorer/

Another setting to check is Ease of Access Center..Click start>>type 'ease of access'>>click 'Make the mouse easier to use'>>make sure there is no check by 'activate a window by hovering over it with mouse'

Pauline

#5 TechBuzzard

TechBuzzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:23 PM

Hi Pauline,

It seems that I have sorted it out, but not sure whether this will occur again. I happen to check Device Manager now and there were 2 instances of HID-Compliant Mouse and I disabled one and now it seems that the issue is fixed. I can't really tell how 2 instances came up. I did perform system restore a couple of times the last week, and I kinda think that could have created this problem.

I will check whether this issue props up again :-).

Thanks once again for your help.

#6 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:39 PM

You are very welcome...

Glad you got it worked out and thanks for posting the solution..I will definitely add it to my list of possible causes !

Pauline

#7 TechBuzzard

TechBuzzard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

Hi Pauline, Hard luck, this issue pops up again. There should be some reason for this which I am not able to figure out now. I have tried this mouse in another system and it doesn't have an issue there. There is something wrong with my system. As you suggested earlier, I checked the carat browsing option in IE and I can see that it is disabled. That's the update from my end. I hope I get this fixed soon :-). Thanks a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users