Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Problem?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Georgedn

Georgedn

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:18 PM

Several days ago I uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2011 and installed AVG Internet Security 2012 on both my and my wife's laptops. Today I discovered an issue on hers necessitating uninstalling and reinstalling our HP printer software. Hers (running Windows XP Media Center edition SP3) worked as expected. However, on mine (running Windows XP Pro SP3) the reinstallation of the HP software stopped and was unable to continue. The following message was displayed: "Windows Installer Registry - This registry key does not exist and is required for installation to continue. Please ensure that the registry key exists and click retry to continue installation. Registry Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{000c101c-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}"

Two days ago I was able to install AVG so I'm suspecting something happened with the uninstallation of the HP software package.

So, I need help and recommendations on a fix. Hopefully, the fix will not be to reload the entire operating system. If absolutely necessary I can do that but it is not the preferred fix.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:36 PM

http://www.google.com/search?q=Windows+Installer+Registry+-+This+registry+key+does+not+exist+&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7ADFA_en#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us%3AIE-ContextMenu&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&source=hp&q=this+registry+key+does+not+exist+and+is+required+for+installation+to+continue&pbx=1&oq=This+registry+key+does+not+exist&aq=1&aqi=g2&aql=1&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=17891l18750l0l22250l2l1l1l0l0l0l656l656l5-1l2l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=1c82949ca002f577&biw=1440&bih=699

Louis

#3 Georgedn

Georgedn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for your quick response but I do not know which of the search results I am to follow.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:47 PM

You are not expected to follow any of them...the links were presented as examples of persons with the same error message and their varying responses and suggestions received.

I cn't tell you which one, if any, fits your case...you have to do the homework and decide.

Louis

#5 Georgedn

Georgedn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:50 PM

Thanks but I expected more from this forum.

#6 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:21 PM

Here's the key. Save as .reg and merge.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{000C101C-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
@="Msi install server"
"AppId"="{000C101C-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{000C101C-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProgId]
@="IMsiServer"

Edited by .X., 28 October 2011 - 09:22 PM.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:08 PM

You have to remember that everyone that works and reads this forum are volunteers.
We all give of our time freely to assist people with issues.

What I would do in your case is to completely uninstall the printer drivers and programs on the problematic system through add/remove programs reboot and then reinstall them.

Note: during the uninstall process the HP software will ask you do disconnect the USB cable (assuming that connection as you did not mention wifi). Please do so.
Then reboot
Then reinstall the printer software. Do not plug the printer in until prompted to do so.

That will fix most HP printer issues.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 anjdelacruz27

anjdelacruz27

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:46 AM

What method are you using when you're uninstalling a software? Did you uninstall directly from the CPanel? Or were you using a software such as Revo Uninstaller?

If you're not familiar with Revo Uninstaller, you might want to try downloading it (it's free). Try to uninstall HP from that software (if HP still appears on your Programs).

If not, there are some "registry fixing" software online that can be downloaded for free.

Or, try to look for that missing registry file online. Then download it. But first, make sure that you'll be downloading from a trusted site.

If the problem still persists, try the "Recovery Console" from your Windows cd. Then if none of these worked, reformat your machine.

You might want to check this website for more possible solutions:
Techyv.com

Edited by hamluis, 29 October 2011 - 08:51 AM.
Eliminated excess blank lines.

#9 Georgedn

Georgedn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:11 AM

Will system restore fix this type of problem? Also, what registry file should I be looking for online?

#10 Georgedn

Georgedn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:14 AM

Also, the computer communicates with the printer wirelessly through the router (the printer is an HP C309 g-m All in One).

#11 Georgedn

Georgedn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:41 AM

You have to remember that everyone that works and reads this forum are volunteers.
We all give of our time freely to assist people with issues.

What I would do in your case is to completely uninstall the printer drivers and programs on the problematic system through add/remove programs reboot and then reinstall them.

Note: during the uninstall process the HP software will ask you do disconnect the USB cable (assuming that connection as you did not mention wifi). Please do so.
Then reboot
Then reinstall the printer software. Do not plug the printer in until prompted to do so.

That will fix most HP printer issues.

I've already removed drivers, etc through add/remove programs. Note my previous post that the computer communicates with the printer wirelessly.

#12 Georgedn

Georgedn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:53 AM

What method are you using when you're uninstalling a software? Did you uninstall directly from the CPanel? Or were you using a software such as Revo Uninstaller?

If you're not familiar with Revo Uninstaller, you might want to try downloading it (it's free). Try to uninstall HP from that software (if HP still appears on your Programs).

If not, there are some "registry fixing" software online that can be downloaded for free.

Or, try to look for that missing registry file online. Then download it. But first, make sure that you'll be downloading from a trusted site.

If the problem still persists, try the "Recovery Console" from your Windows cd. Then if none of these worked, reformat your machine.

You might want to check this website for more possible solutions:
Techyv.com

I uninstalled the software using add/remove programs. There is still an HP entry in start menu with two items in it that were left there when I uninstalled software for an older HP printer. Just downloaded/installed Revo but nothing for the HP stuff in the start menu is listed.

I also edited the registry and found the key that the message says does not exist (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{000c101c-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}".

Also, I neglected to thank both of you who have replied. I've owned a computer for years but I'm not a rocket scientist when it comes to the internals of Windows and I'm particularly nervous about fooling with the registry and I truly appreciate any help you can provide.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
<<Or, try to look for that missing registry file online. Then download it.>>

I think there is some confustion here. Registry keys are not available for download, they are part of the Windows install...but there is a ton of software available for modifying the registry. Suggesting such to any user can be good advice, depending on the skills of the user and the problem. To suggest downloading registry files...is just a bad suggestion and misunderstanding of what reg values, keys, files are.

<<If the problem still persists, try the "Recovery Console" from your Windows cd. Then if none of these worked, reformat your machine.>>

The Recovery Console...is a very general tool, with a variety of commands and possible uses. AFAIK, some registry problems can be addressed through the RC, but those typically involve systems which do not boot...and, therefore, the user must employ the RC to edit files. That does not appear to be the case here, unless I have misread the initial post.

Suggesting a reformat for a missing registry key...is a bit extreme, IMO. There are less extreme alternatives for dealing with known registry problems.

Louis

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:14 AM

Hello Georgedn,

Please look up to post 6. The one thing I'd add to that is to back up the registry first in case something goes haywire.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#15 Georgedn

Georgedn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:41 AM

Louis,

As I mentioned previously, I am not a rocket scientist but from what I have read registry cleaners are not recommended at all. When I perform a registry check with ccleaner I see entries for software that I know has been removed and I'm tempted to clean only those but still I am reluctant. I also agree that a reformat is the last resort. In previous posts this morning I asked about system restore. Would it make the necessary fixes? There are 2 restore points from just before I removed Norton and installed AVG. Also, what about a repair install? What would that do to the existing registry entries for the software currently installed?

.X. mentioned in post 6 some things about registry entries. My dilemma is that such solutions are vague to me. I don't know what it means to "save as .reg and merge". While I appreciate the suggestions I'm not smart enough to know what to do with them.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 29 October 2011 - 05:17 PM.
Removed unncessary quote. ~ OB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users