Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Additional "computers" under C:\ drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Giggsteve8

Giggsteve8

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:07 PM

Hey guys--

Strange issue here... When I expand my C: drive, alongside all the normal folders are two computer objects. When I expand them, they seem to mirror my C: drive. It's quite bizarre and I can't imagine what could have caused it. I feel like I could just delete them and be alright, but I'd like to find out if anyone is familiar with this or has seen it before.

As far as I can tell, the names are completely random.

Any insight would be great. Thanks!

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:55 PM

Welcome to the forums!

As you may know already, we are here to assist you.
When did you notice this?

Have you checked for viruses/malware recently?
If so, what programs did you use?

Edited by hamluis, 29 October 2011 - 08:57 AM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Giggsteve8

Giggsteve8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:20 PM

Hey there, Eyesee. I noticed it the same day that I posted it. However, this is now a moot point as I've wiped my hard drive and done a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate.

I was using the free ZoneAlarm firewall, with Panda Cloud 1.5 as my anti-virus. I had also run an RKill and then done a Malwarebytes full scan, after updating. I keep pretty decent tabs on my computer, and don't believe it was infected, although it's certainly possible.

As I said, I've moved on to Windows 7, so I apologize for wasting your time. I had just never seen anything like it and wanted to see if anyone here had had a similar experience. I did end up deleting both the objects before I reformatted and they were successfully removed with no negative effects.

Thanks for your time, let me know if you have any thoughts or questions. If not, feel free to close this down. Thanks!

#4 Akashi

Akashi

• Members
  • 301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

I'm wondering if those randomly named computer objects might have been Junctions pointing to your C:\ drive.

But, as to how they may have got there, I have no idea. :blink:

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:45 PM

You should have expanded the directory to check on what are these contents for.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users