Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question Re: Temp File

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EdithBunker

EdithBunker

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 02:04 PM

I did a search before I posted this, and didn't see any tutorial that would answer my question. I can kind of guess at the difference, but would like to know more.

I know how to empty my temporary internet files, via the tools>internet options>delete files (and delete cookies) botton.

But in explorer there are three different places where a temp folder is placed. One is under windows, one just in the listings when I click local disk, and one is hidden away under Documents and settings, in a folder with a weird name--a string of uppercase and lower case letters and numbers.

All of them have stuff in them. Can I empty these folders? do I need all three? Can I delete the two that are not under the Windows listings?

Inside the temp file (under the windows listing) are folders titled, temporary internet files, cookies and history. Inside the temporary internet files folder is another folder titled content IE5, and inside that are 4 folders with uppercase letters and numbers as the title, and these folders are empty. are these folders even necessary? (I have IE6)

I had had an excellent tutorial a friend had passed on to me when I had a computer with Win98 on how to clear my computer of unneeded junk and then how to run disk defrag and scandisk. There I was supposed to do a seach where I looked for ~.tmp, and 2 others that i don't remember now, that I would tehn delete. Is there any such instructions to do so in XP?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:13 PM

:thumbsup: to BC EdithBunker,

It can be confusing with so many temporary file folders all over the place, Internet Explorer creates and uses them and each user in Windows XP will have a set of 'Temporary internet files' under 'Documents and settings/<user>/Local Settings/' - using the 'delete files' tool under 'internet options' is the right way to empty these.

Inside the temporary internet files folder is another folder titled content IE5, and inside that are 4 folders with uppercase letters and numbers as the title

You can delete these if you wish, but IE will recreate them (if they are still being used) the next time it starts.

There is a Temp folder under Windows where applications can unpack themselves and create temporary files while they install or are in use. You can empty the folder but you cannot delete it as it's required by the system.

Is there any such instructions to do so in XP?

XP will do most of that for you. To clean your internet cache and temporary files:
Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

There is a free program which will do an even more thorough job of removing temp files, unwanted logs, and a host of other stuff. It's called CCleaner and widely used and recommended by members here.
Download CCleaner from here:
CCleaner
Do NOT use the 'Applications' or 'Issues' tabs unless you are an expert user.

hth :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 EdithBunker

EdithBunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:27 AM

Thank you for the welcome, Rimmer. I like it here! LOL!

The tutorials are well written and easy to understand.

Thanks for the info about the temp files and temporary internet files. I will use the cleaners. I am working from two different computers, one Win98 and one WinXP. I know more about how to run maintenance on the 98 than the XP. I'll be reading here a lot!! LOL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users