Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Iomega 1TB external Hard Drive stopped working correctly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joey0221

joey0221

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:16 PM

I figured I would re-up my question, with a little more information. I hope someone can help me

I have a 1TB Iomega external Hard Drive, that quit working last week. I have no idea why it stopped working. It shows up on disk manager, and my computer. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822186186)

I know that I have at least 70 to 80 GB of data on the drive. When I try to open the drive it asks me to reformat the drive.

On the disk manager its shows that its healthy, working properly, and shows a solid blue line. It shows 901.51GB of 1000GB are free. It now shows the file system as raw when it should be NTFS.

In "my computer" it would normally show up as "External Hard Drive(K)" it now shows up as "local disk k:"

When I right click on the drive icon, and go to properties to the "error checking" button. When I click that the screen comes up to begin the process, the screen disappears after I click start.

I have run testdisk. While running, it says: analyzing cylinders xxx/xxxxxx read error

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

It now shows the file system as raw when it should be NTFS.

Did you assigned a different drive letter in disk management first?

Right Click on My Computer's icon, select Manage.
Click on Disk Management, find the drive that shows up as RAW on the right window, right click on it and choose assign a drive letter. Give one available drive letter from the pull down list. Confirm the operation.
Once this is done it will show up as NTFS again. From My Computer then you'll be able to access this drive again.

Tekken

#3 joey0221

joey0221
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:06 PM

It now shows the file system as raw when it should be NTFS.

Did you assigned a different drive letter in disk management first?

Right Click on My Computer's icon, select Manage.
Click on Disk Management, find the drive that shows up as RAW on the right window, right click on it and choose assign a drive letter. Give one available drive letter from the pull down list. Confirm the operation.
Once this is done it will show up as NTFS again. From My Computer then you'll be able to access this drive again.

That didn't work either...

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:59 PM

You will need this first http://www.easeus.com/resource/raw-external-hard-drive-recovery.htm

Tekken

#5 joey0221

joey0221
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

You will need this first http://www.easeus.com/resource/raw-external-hard-drive-recovery.htm

So do I re-format the drive, and recover the data off of it?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:16 AM

Its only a data recovery software for your important files. Have you tried another usb cable or working PC to check on the drive?

Tekken

#7 joey0221

joey0221
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

Its only a data recovery software for your important files. Have you tried another usb cable or working PC to check on the drive?

I've tried two other computers, and another usb cable, neither worked.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:56 AM

Unless this drive was dropped or suddenly unplugged while transferring data, there is not much we can do about it. Sometimes it lasts longer and sometimes it quits unexpectedly. I can't find any other diagnostic to check on iomega drives but only this http://ap.iomegadatarecovery.com/

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users