Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird computer standby issue

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 aviv

aviv

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

Okay, so I'm having a weird issue with my standby mode.

Basically, when I put the computer into standby mode and then try to wake it up again, I'm not able to. The mouse and keyboard don't do anything and pushing the power button just reboots the computer.

In attempt to track down the problem, I unplugged everything from the back of the tower and then slowly plugged it all back in one by one. The weird thing I found was that everything works as it should as long as the ethernet cable running from my wireless router to my computer tower is not plugged in.

Unplug it and the keyboard/mouse/power button will bring the computer out of standby as they should. Plug it in, and they stop working.

Tried changing the cable and that didn't work. Is there some obscure setting I'm missing? Aside from this issue, everything's running fine on my computer and the wireless router/internet connections work fine, as well, so I'm guessing it's not a hardware issue.

I asked the computer tech who had recently done a "fall cleaning" on my computer - cleaning out the dust, virus checks, registry clean-up - about this and he doesn't have a clue (or, at least, he didn't have any advice aside from 'bring it back in and I'll try and fix it').

This problem only came up after I brought it in for that cleaning AND after I plugged in a new wireless mouse, so I'm not sure which might have caused the problem in the first place, or if it's all just an odd coincidence.

Any advice? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users