Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is this?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WTF123

WTF123

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:31 PM

Okay, so when I start my XP laptop sometimes I get an error telling me Windows has encountered a serious error I went to where the error dump was created there was a file called "manifest" and this is what was inside

Server=watson.microsoft.com
UI LCID=1033
Flags=1696082
Brand=WINDOWS
TitleName=Microsoft Windows
DigPidRegPath=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId
ErrorText=A log of this error has been created.
HeaderText=The system has recovered from a serious error.
Stage2URL=
Stage2URL=/dw/bluetwo.asp?BCCode=10000050&BCP1=C208BF82&BCP2=00000000&BCP3=C208BF82&BCP4=00000000&OSVer=5_1_2600&SP=3_0&Product=768_1
DataFiles=C:\DOCUME~1\Chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERad6f.dir00\Mini102711-02.dmp|C:\DOCUME~1\Chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERad6f.dir00\sysdata.xml
ErrorSubPath=blue
DirectoryDelete=C:\DOCUME~1\Chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERad6f.dir00

Is this spyware or something? What is causing the error and how can I prevent it also I'm sorry if this is the wrong section I wasn't sure where to post this, this seemed the most appropriate.

Attached Files

Edited by WTF123, 28 October 2011 - 02:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

The crash report itself is not malware, though if you see this regularly it may indicate an infection or other problem that needs to be addressed. It's the built-in Windows Error Reporting system. By default whenever Windows or a program crashes, a report is generated and you are asked to send this report to Microsoft. Sometimes, the issue has already been identified and you are offered a solution. More often than not, however, no solution is immediately available. These crash reports, however, are still useful in that it allows Microsoft to identify bugs in Windows or in third-party application and either fix them or contact the vendor of the software.

The crash reports may contain personally identifiable information and it's perfectly fine to not allow the report to be sent, it's completely voluntary.

Bonus fun fact: The Windows debugger is named Dr. Watson after Sherlock Holmes' companion.

Edited by Andrew, 28 October 2011 - 02:57 PM.

#3 WTF123

WTF123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

Do you think this error could be the cause of my laptop randomly restarting? I've disabled Restart on critical error though

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote for ease of topic reading and forum tidiness. ~ Animal

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

If you've disabled autorestart then the restarting is most likely caused by something else. If the laptop is more than around 5 years old, the battery may need replacing.

#5 WTF123

WTF123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

Hm, maybe I'll try that.

Thanks for your help. :)

#6 Andrew

Andrew