Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Reinstall

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RoscoP

RoscoP

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

Sister-in-law has 4-5 year old Dell Inspiron laptop with XP. Needs to be reformatted and she does not have the disks. I have downloaded XP via torrent, but have had no luck installing it. I have reformatted win XP systems before, so.

Any help would be fantastic. Also, being the OS is tied to your mother board SN, isn't there some kind of legal free download for people in my exact situation? Maybe with some instructions.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

You might want to familiarize with forum rules...particularly, the section that reads:

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

<<...isn't there some kind of legal free download for people in my exact situation?>>

Microsoft considers itself to be in the business of selling software licenses to bona fide customers...I've not known them to give away such ever.

FWIW: Have you ever considered the idea that illegal downloads of O/Ses and software...are rather convenient mechanisms for gaining access to systems that otherwise would be well-protected by user practices?

<<Sister-in-law has 4-5 year old Dell Inspiron laptop with XP.>>

I suggest that you contact Dell and see what they have to say about replacement disks.

Louis

#3 Akashi

Akashi

• Members
  • 301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

As hamluis said, downloading a copy of Windows XP with a torrent breaks copyright laws and End User License Agreements, and we are not permitted to help people install software that has not been obtained legitimately. Besides that, when you download software with a torrent, you are downloading from other people's computers, so you don't really know what you are getting. The software could be corrupted and not work at all. Or, even worse, it may be infected with malware which could steal your bank details and do all sorts of other horrible things.

However, having said that, all may not be lost. Dell computers usually have a Restore Partition which contains a backup of your operating system. If you have a Restore Partition you can reinstall Windows XP perfectly legally.

You can usually access Dell System Restore by pressing Ctrl + F11 on startup. A complete tutorial can be found HERE

If for some reason you cannot use Dell System Restore, you may be able to get a backup disk HERE

Good luck, and remember that using P2P programs (like bittorrent) can sometimes cause serious problems. :)

#4 RoscoP

RoscoP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:09 AM

You might want to familiarize with forum rules...particularly, the section that reads:

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

<<...isn't there some kind of legal free download for people in my exact situation?>>

Microsoft considers itself to be in the business of selling software licenses to bona fide customers...I've not known them to give away such ever.

FWIW: Have you ever considered the idea that illegal downloads of O/Ses and software...are rather convenient mechanisms for gaining access to systems that otherwise would be well-protected by user practices?

<<Sister-in-law has 4-5 year old Dell Inspiron laptop with XP.>>

I suggest that you contact Dell and see what they have to say about replacement disks.

Louis

My request

isn't there some kind of legal free download for people in my exact situation?

So asking if there is a legal download available for someone who lost their CD and needs to re-install, violates the following: "No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures."

I so eagerly await your response.

Edited by RoscoP, 30 October 2011 - 12:16 AM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:37 AM

Hello -
To reinforce the reply -
We do not advise downloading XP from any internet site except from Microsoft, and M/soft do not have a site.

What has been the repsponse from Dell so far ?? Or is there a reason you cannot do this ??
If you have a Genuine Lisenced version installed, there are reinstall CDs available from Dell (usually).
Only if you quote matching model and license numbers.

I have Genuine Reinstall discs from Toshiba, sent within 3 working days.

Have you contacted Dell yet as advised ??

Please read the reply given above, fully -
Thank You -

>> I suggest that you contact Dell and see what they have to say about replacement disks. <<
>> Louis -

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:36 AM

I have downloaded XP via torrent,

As indicated, Microsoft does not offer any version of Windows for download via torrent.

Louis

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

Check Dell's website for your model & see if they still have restoration cd's available.
Might cost a little but it will be legal and come with a drivers disk.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users