Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bricked it?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ace of Sevens

Ace of Sevens

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:10 AM

My dad just got an HP m8400f with Windows 7. As far as I can tell, the factory hardware hasn't been changed. He tried to install Windows 8 developer preview. It was too large to fit on a DVD, so he just mounted the ISO. Installation required rebooting, but of course the ISO isn't there to mount at that point.

I think his problems go beyond this, though. When I turn it on, it powers up (fans come on, hard drives spin up, can open the DVD drive, power light is on), but there is no boot chime and it doesn't display the bios. The monitor says no signal, not out of range. Short of just swapping out parts until it works (probably start with the mobo), is there anything I can do to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:01 AM

Use the recovery disk?

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,391 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:53 AM

That comp likely had Vista originally. So if the recovery partition still exists it likely is Vista.
Suggest trying a live Linux CD. If there are no hardware problems then the live CD should work
and the monitor should display. I would think.

If you captured the Windows 7 product key then you can get an ISO of Win 7 and install using the
product key you now have.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Ace of Sevens

Ace of Sevens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:30 PM

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to boot off anything if I can't even get the bios to display, though.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:10 PM

That comp likely had Vista originally. So if the recovery partition still exists it likely is Vista.

What? He said "My dad just got an HP m8400f with Windows 7"... did you mean to respond to a different thread?

@Ace of Sevens , an OS upgrade does not touch the bios. That resides on the motherboard. Once the bios issues the necessary instructions to get the hardware up and going, then the OS takes over. That sort of points to an issue with the motherboard.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,391 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

Used comp....not bought new....upgraded to 7, likely.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Ace of Sevens

Ace of Sevens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

Yes, this is a used computer upgraded to Windows 7. I don't know how it could have caused this problem, but it worked fine until he tried to install Windows 8, and now I can push the power button and it powers up, but nothing displays on the monitor. I tried removing the graphics card, powering it, shutting it back down and putting the graphics card back, but it didn't help. I assume the problem is that the video output has been screwed up somehow, not the actual bios, but I can't figure out how to get it booting properly.

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:06 AM

The initial on screen display is controlled by the bios. The bios is specifically programmed to communicate with the hardware. The OS cannot change that. It is possible that something is wrong with the on-board video controller, but that is still a motherboard issue. You are not really going to accomplish anything by powering up a system with missing components.

EDIT: What I mean to say is that it was likely a coincidence. Installation of an OS cannot cause an issue with bios in any instance I can think of, nor interfere with the bios to be able to display startup information since it communicates directly with the hardware. So either your graphics card has gone bad, or the motherboard is bad.

Edited by groovicus, 03 November 2011 - 12:24 PM.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,391 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

It is possible during the install of a virtual machine that the bios was incorrectly changed. I did see
yesterday in instructions for such the necessity to change the bios settings.

Have you tried removing the CMOS battery, leaving it out for several minutes and then replacing?
This should reset the bios to the default or factory settings.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

At what point was a virtual machine being discussed? :huh:

#11 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

Really. I can't understand?
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#12 fruitpunch

fruitpunch

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

This is what I would start off doing:
1. Pull out the power plug and hold power button for 1 min. Then try to start.
2. Clear CMOS - Google it if you don't know how. Then try to start.
3. Make sure your monitor is on the right display - Could be this if you have a graphics card with vga/dvi/hdmi and now that you uninstalled the OS it switched to the primary display.

Let me know if any of this works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users