Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.net passport/ user accounts

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DrProphet

DrProphet

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:13 AM

Hi,

A few months ago, I carried out a clean install after a vicious virus attack. I re-installed all the software which originally came with my PC. Which is about 6 or 7 years old now. I didn't bother to upgrade as I only use my PC for home use and my original software copes with all my requirements.

However when I installed my Printer software (HP7410 All-in-one) I didn't install ALL the software, as I didn't use this printer to it's full capacity anyway. Unfortunately I wasn't aware that I hadn't installed the HP document viewer which I require for scanning in some work paper's that I'm required to send to my employer occasionally. I put in the original HP disc again, and proceeded to do a full install, the only option the disc would allow. I'm presuming it overwrote anything that was already on my PC. Everything worked fine after this, apart from the next time I switched my PC on, it asked me to login, with either my account or a .net passport account. Didn't know where this had come from but I did a little search online and felt I didn't require this, so I deleted the .net account.

But for some reason now I have the following issues.

A. Everytime I switch my PC on a login screen comes up which I have to click Ok on before it will load windows.
B. Once loaded a pop-up balloon appears in the bottom right corner stating that it cannot connect all drives :wacko:
C. the shutdown menu has changed also.

I hope somebody can help me rectify this, as it's a pain in the PC.

Thankyou in advance,

Dan

Edited by DrProphet, 28 October 2011 - 04:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:06 AM

System manufacturer and model?

What was the means you used to do this install of Windows?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/passport_about.mspx?mfr=true

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309011

Louis

#3 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

Hi Hamluis,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Been a hectic few days, and been away from my PC.

My PC is a Dell dimension 9100.

For the install of windows, I used the original disc I received when I bought my PC, I then visited microsoft's website and installed all the available updates. But like I say the clean install was done a few months ago. It's only been happening since I ran software for my Printer. Oh, In case it's relevant, I have had the printer for years too, and haven't had this issue previously when i've installed the software. It's truly bizarre.

Also, I wrote the ballon message wrong. It actually says 'could not RECONNECT all network drives'...Not sure what this means, as everything seems to be functioning.

I hope this info helps,

Anything else you need to know, i'll post up asap.

Thankyou.

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:41 PM

A. Everytime I switch my PC on a login screen comes up which I have to click Ok on before it will load windows.
C. the shutdown menu has changed also.

To rectify these issues (hopefully):
Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on and off > make sure the Use the Welcome screen box is checked > Apply Options.

Hope this is helpful.

Edited by bludgard, 31 October 2011 - 06:11 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:26 PM

Worth A Look

Louis

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:09 PM

Worth A Look

Louis

Got me diggin' around. :thumbup2:

:lol:

#7 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:39 PM

How does it feel to know EVERYTHING?? :thumbsup:

Thanks guys....I checked out the link you put up Louis, which described exactly what I had. So thankyou.

However, I followed Bludgard's instruction's and restarted, to check that side of thing's out, and sure enough no more logging on. Or off :thumbup2: ....Oh, and guess what??

No balloon informing me of any drive connection issues. Er, no idea how or if it has solved that issue too. Only time will tell. I'm sure i'll be back if it crops up in the future. 'Z' drive is still present, but it's not doing any harm.

Thanks again guys. You are Genii < No idea if there's a plural for genius.

Keep up the GREAT work :busy:

Kind regards,

Dan

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for the feedback, post back if you have any problems :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

#9 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:32 AM

Yes, glad things are ok for now. The errant drive may have been tied to a user account in some cryptic manner.
I also have an HP printer; and a Z: drive:
[attachment=110532:1.JPG]
Perfectly normal. If you can print, forget about it. By the way, I only installed the all-in-one driver package from the 12 or so packages setup tries to install by default.
[attachment=110533:2.JPG]
It will fax/scan/copy/print wirelessly. Lots of garbage on the setup disk.

#10 DrProphet

DrProphet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:21 AM

Thanks again guys.

All is still ok.

Bludgard,

Currently have my printer running through ethernet, purely because age of desktop doesn't have wireless option as far as i'm aware. Looking to upgrade next year sometime anyway, so looking forward to a nice reduction in cables compared to my current spaghetti tangle :)

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users