Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows Xp Professional

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mg49

mg49

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:10 PM

Hi
I am currently running xp home edition on my computer. I want to install windows xp professional but it wont let me (the message that comes up says the version of xp that is on my cd is older than the version of xp on my computer)...is there anyway to install this version of xp professional?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 02:01 PM

I think if you really wanted to you could unistall the windows xp home ed. and install the XP prof.

#3 mg49

mg49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:33 PM

I would if I could but I really dont know how to. When I try to install XP Professional this is the error I'm getting: "Setup cannot continue because the version of windows on your computer is newer than the version on the cd." and it wont let me continue past that.
Thanks

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:39 PM

Hi mg49

You could reformat (deleting off the partition or the current operating system), then install the newer version.
I don't think you can just install a newer OS onto an older one without removing the older one.

You can reformat by reading this tutorial:
http://www.resnet.uni.edu/docs/reformatxp.html

Instead of putting in the CD's of the current OS, use the ones for the newer one that you want to install.

Let me know.
David

#5 mg49

mg49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:32 AM

Hi
I am using the windows xp professional cd. I deleted the old partitions before creating a new one...the setup gets to about 80% before it stops and tells me that it cant copy a file (i can press esc to skip the specific file but then it just says it cant copy the next file and so on). The file that it stops on is different every time but its always at around 80% done. Is there a way to fix this?
Thanks

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:28 PM

Wipe you drive with Active @KillDisk first. I would believe Windows is detecting parts of the old install. By wiping your drive you will destroy all of the old window filles. On a clean install I always wipe the drive.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:44 PM

If installing a different o/s, I find it easier to just get another 20Gig disk and use this for the new o/s. Later on if you don't need it you can use it for back up. I have two xp pro disks, one home, one windows me, and one Linux. Needless to say there is no side panel on the computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users