Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Unistall Mcafee Av Or Security Center

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hagbag69

hagbag69

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:47 PM

Hi folks,

I'm having a bit of trouble uninstalling McAfee. I go into Control Panel, and try uninstalling Security center, it tells me I have to uninstall the other componants first, so I try uninstalling McAfee AV. Are you sure? Yes. And after 3.4 seconds, a script error pops up asking me if I want to continue. I tried saying yes, I tried saying no too, but nothing. The only option was to End Task and try something else.

I thought "perhaps I should make sure McAfee isn't running" so I go into msconfig, start, and tell my PC not to run McAfee programs on Startup. I restart the PC and try the uninstall again. Nothing. Still getting the script error. Did I want to continue? Yes, no, didn't matter, still couldn't uninstall.

I went into Start > Programs > MacAfee and couldn't find an uninstall option anywhere.

So then, I thought, "I'll search google and see if anyone else has had this problem". It seems they have, but they had a ton of BHO's to remove before they could. I haven't. I ran Hijack this and there's nothing unusual in the log. I did learn that the uninstall file for McAfee is called "unwise", so I did a search on my drives for any files with that name, but nothing McAfee-related turned up, and I rooted around in the Program Files but couldn't find anything there either.

It's XP pro by the way
Can anyone suggest a way of removing the darn thing?
Hagbag69

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jubo

Jubo

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:31 AM

You can find manual uninstall instructions for your version of "McAfee" at their Technical Support Site.

Or post your issue at the McAfee Help Forums.
Be sure to post more detailed information like exactly which version you have/had installed on which version of Windows, incl. Service packs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users