Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are these other User Accounts?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:39 PM

Hi all --

Control panel>users shows there are two users (me and a guest), but when I look in c: \documents and settings\ i see the following 'user' folders: administrator, alternate, default user, guest, me (my name), and 'all users'. The name of the administrator, alternate and guest folders are all colored light blue. The other three folders' names are in black.

So, does Windows XP create these user folders by default? I noticed one subfolder in (for example) the guest user folder is labeled 'identity' and the folder is named with a long alphanumeric.

Why do only two users show in Control Panel while other users are named in this other path (c:\documents and settings, etc.)? Is it safe to delete alternate and default users? I found JAVA folders in some of these...most JAVA subfolders appear to be empty, but a few have files in them. I don't want any old JAVA files around.

Thanks in advance for your input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:25 PM

<<So, does Windows XP create these user folders by default?>>

Yes, see attachment.

That is just how Windows works. Your questiona about Control Panel/Users...relates to user profiles, persons authorized access/use of the system...the accounts are a subset created for each user, with the username (in my case, Louis) identifying each.

Louis

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 27 October 2011 - 07:29 PM.

#3 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:25 AM

Ok, thank you for clarifying.

Also, I found out that the blue colored folder names mean that at some point I zipped or otherwise compressed those folders/files (if the color is green instead, Windows is telling you that the info is encrypted).

I also read one should never delete 'administrator' 'default' or 'all users' folders!

Seems to me that it's perfectly fine though to delete any leftover JAVA folders in 'guest' user account (which I do not use). Java must have installed itself there by default (it's not in all of folders, only some), because I don't remember using the guest account. I may have done so once, for 30 minutes or so. These older JAVA files were NOT removed by JAVARA (I ran it several times) and they also do not show up in Control Panel as a program that I can remove either (only the latest version of JAVA appears in Control Panel). But they are leftover in 'application data' path of some user accounts. Most of the Java folders in there were empty anyway, so it's possible that JAVARA uninstalled them and left behind a small amount of data.

I read someplace that if I had older versions of JAVA in some user account, that if I use that user account, the system cache may put an older version of JAVA into play, thereby creating a security risk.

<<So, does Windows XP create these user folders by default?>>

Yes, see attachment.

That is just how Windows works. Your questiona about Control Panel/Users...relates to user profiles, persons authorized access/use of the system...the accounts are a subset created for each user, with the username (in my case, Louis) identifying each.

Louis

#4 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

One more thing...when I deleted the JAVA folder in guest user account, I deleted a subfolder called 'system cache'. Here's what it looked like:

C:\Documents and Settings\Guest\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\SystemCache\6.0\29

One of the files in the JAVA subfolders was 4,000+ kilobytes. Most were empty.

These JAVA-related files showed up in different user accounts when I searched my computer using 'JRE' keyword.

Older version of JAVA do not, however, show up in Control Panel's 'add/remove' programs.

My guess is these older JAVA files do not pose any sort of security risk. If you know otherwise, please advise!

Edited by Anonix, 28 October 2011 - 08:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users