Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows installer starts at random sort of

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cecoen

cecoen

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:12 PM

Hello experts. GREAT site you have here. It has helped me for a long long time but this one has me really puzzled. I haven't a clue about this one. Something must have gone haywire installing blackberry desktop 6.1 software or windows installer is going nuts but I really don't know where to begin. I built a computer from a bare bones kit. It is running windows 7. It has been running just fine for months now. But all of a sudden I think *THINK, that when I click on any video file on my computer the windows installer starts and says it is trying to install blackberry desktop 6.1 software. Then it has some not found error and never finishes installing and keeps restarting the installer. I have not found any other programs that cause this. Only video related things. I do have BB desktop software installed and it runs just fine and backs up my phone regularly so I didn't think it was a problem with the blackberry install, which by the way, was done months ago also. Any ideas where I should start?

I have run all of the usual virus scan stuff and found nothing wrong.

I watched task manager processes when this happens and all I see is msiexec.exe and msiexec.exe*32 pop up in the list. Nothing about blackberry or anything.

What should I do? What else do I need to provide to help you help me?

Thanks,
Chad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:37 AM

Something must have gone haywire installing blackberry desktop 6.1 software or windows installer is going nuts

Hi Chad-
You have me a bit confused with "Windows installer is going nuts" part of the post.
Do you mean that it wants to re-install Windows, or re-install the BlackBerry program ?

If this is the BlackBerry program trying to reinstall each time, there may be a chance that this program has become corrupted.
The first step would be to uninstall the BlackBerry program from Programs and Features. Next make sure you have the latest version of this program.
As this is being done, try running the same Video clips while the program is uninstalled.

Only if the problem persists after the uninstall and check, can you go further into diagnosing the problem.

Thank You -

#3 cecoen

cecoen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:39 PM

AH HA! You are very correct. Thank you for that. I tried uninstalling the blackberry software and it stopped mid uninstall with some error that a temp file was missing. I then re-downloaded the software and re-installed (or rather repaired) and it must have reinstalled the corrupt or missing files because it is no longer trying to install it when I try opening a video file. I didn't think to remove/reinstall blackberry because the program was working but I guess something went wrong with it. Thank you for the advise, it worked great!

Chad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users