Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Mechanic

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 skydiver666

skydiver666

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:10 PM

I downloaded Registry Mechanic through pc tools that was recomended through this site. Its seems to find the same problems everytime i scan it? Is this program all that it is supposed to be or is it just a cool looking file scanner? Any info on what the regmech is really doing would be appreciated.

Jeff Bidigare

Mod Edit: e-mail addy removed in order to protect member from spambots. ~S; thread moved to more appropriate forum.jgweed

Edited by jgweed, 28 January 2006 - 06:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 02:23 PM

What problem(s) is it finding? If it is the same problem every time and it doesn't seem to be virus or adware related and the system is running smoothly, I would probably not worry about it.

The registry is an area to be very careul around, cleaning it can be helpful, but it is easy to remove something vital and end up with an unbootable system.

Do you have up to date anti-virus and anti-spyware software? That is the area I spend more time checking than the registry.

#3 Boyo

Boyo

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 05:55 PM

Are you running a trial version of Registry Mechanic, or did you purchase it and fill in a key number??? This makes a huge difference.

The trial version of Registry Mechanic will show all of your PC's Registry errors, dead end short cuts, etc.... BUT, the trial version will not allow you to delete all of the errors. The trial version only allows you to delete a very small section of your PC's errors. Therefore, if you are running the trial version, yes, you will always see the same errors because you are not allowed access to delete them. If you buy this software, and I highly recommend it as I use it daily, then all of your errors will be corrected and each day will bring new errors for correction.

Hope that clears things up for you. If you did buy the software and are still having troubles, you may want to make a clean uninstall and re-enter your key number. If that doesn't work, use their tech help.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ @2.64GHz|AC Freezer 64 Pro|Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe|Corsair 2GB PC3500LLPRO|eVGA 7900GT CO Superclocked|SB Audigy 2 ZS|Logitech MX1000|WD 74GB Raptor|WD 320GB Caviar SE16|WD 250GB Caviar RE16 eSATA Mobile |Lite-On DVD/CD with Lightscribe|Enermax Liberty 620W|Lian Li PC7 Plus II

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:04 PM

To a lesser degree cCleaner
will do the same, but will also remove the selected HKeys. select the issues tab and scan for issues. Disclaimer to follow...

Posted ImageUse Extreme Caution!!Posted Image

Modifing your registry can damage your operating system beyond repair!

Before proceeding, backup your registry! NOW!!

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:59 PM

Registry cleaners require that the user know & understand what they do.
Any user of freeware or shareware that supposes that IT will fix things is in a dangerous position, imho.

You will need to learn what the program does.
It would not help to have a crippled program to begin learning with, either.

I have used many.

I recommend jv16 power tools.

Last free version is just as good as any offered since, free or otherwise, in that it will
allow you to be mindful of all problems, yet it is by design cautious and conservative.

It identifies hkey errors & inconsistancies in such a way as to alert you to those "safe" as well
as those "flagged" by preset keywords to indicate further inspection is "suggested".

ie: Green buttons "should be safe to remove"
Red buttons "excluded because of keyword like *setup* or *some others* within". (yet still could, if they should be, modified by deletion of present value)

I double check with Ccleaner.

Edited by phawgg, 29 January 2006 - 12:00 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:43 AM

I really don't recommend you use one at all. The increase in performance is virtually impossible to detect not to mention the risk that you put your machine at when you accidentally delete very important.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#7 Poru

Poru

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:51 PM

I have been using Registry Mechanic (paid) pretty successfully; I find that many of the same entries keeping cropping up, not because of an on-going problem, but because of normal activities, i.e., I run Spybot, I get an entry pointing to Spybot's now dead registry look-see. Likewise with index data entries, which are accumulated during the normal course of surfing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users