Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Cleaner

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 heshie75v

heshie75v

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:12 PM

Should I use one of the "free" system cleaners such as CC cleaner etc. to keep my new Windows 7 system running smoothly or should I stay away from these.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:57 PM

CC cleaner is excellent. I would stay away from System Cleaning programs that run in real-time(Always running). In my opinion these programs produce more overhead on your system.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:58 PM

The latter. They do nothing to keep your system running smoothly, and while ccleaner is, for the most part, pretty benign, there are some that will render your system unusable. Just use a good AV, regular scans with MalwareBytes and/or Super Antispyware, and SMART COMPUTING (don't open email links or attachments unless you are 100% certain you know what they are, do not visit questionable websites, don't download anything unless you know what it is, etc).

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:36 PM

Should I use one of the "free" system cleaners such as CC cleaner etc. to keep my new Windows 7 system running smoothly or should I stay away from these.
Thanks

Hi -
Do you have any specific problems, or are you just looking for programs to help delete browsing history or Temp internet files Etc,

Thank You -

#5 heshie75v

heshie75v
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

NO..just trying to keep my system running smoothly!

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:30 AM

I would also recommend the Secunia PSI program which I learned about here at BC.

I think it was in one of quietman7's posts and I use it on both my Vista machine and my wife's Windows 7 laptop.

It scans your machine and lets you know which apps need patching and/or have reached the old End-of-Life.

Should be a post around here somewhere to give you more detailed (or more technical) information, but it's very helpful in keeping your computer running smoothly.

Enjoy the day,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users