Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sims 2 And Virtual Memory

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 suzeybq

suzeybq

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:57 AM

I am having a heck of a time (actually my daughter is) with Sims 2 and the computer shutting down.
I have defragged, I have run a couple of different file cleaner programs, and still the computer keeps on closing down. I think I have a virtual memory problem, and somehow I can't find a way to actually clean it up. I guess I have 2 guestions... how do I know for a fact my virtual memory is as free as possible, and second could this have to do with background programs that are running that don't need to be running, how do I get them to not run... ie I have a bunch of programs that start up when the computer starts up that don't need to... how do I stop that.
Help...............I am getting really frustrated with both the computer and my child.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 02:48 PM

There are few things in the computer world more frustrating than a program that refuses to run, except maybe having a child trying to use a program that refuses to run.

Background processes generally aren't a problem, but it would help if you could tell us a little more about the computer: processor, ram, hard drive, os, etc. Also, when you do ctrl-alt-del, go to task manager and look at the processes tab, how much cpu utilization is showing and what are some of the more resource intensive processes running?

Now for the big question, do you have up to date antivirus and antispyware software? If so have you run a thorough scan on the system? If you have some little malware program running, that would cause problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users