Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the purpose of an External HDD?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:55 PM

I'm a bit confused about something.
If an External Enclosure converts an internal HDD into a portable HDD, than why is there also a such thing as an External HDD?
It seems like the smarter thing to do would be to buy internal HDD's and just buy an External Enclosure when you need to make the Internal HDD portable.

Am I missing something here? Do External HDD's have some advantage over an Internal HDD w/External Enclosure?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

External enclosure can be used to make an external HDD if you, say for example, upgrade your existing 500GB computer to a 1TB computer. You now have a 500GB left over so you can use it with an enclosure. There are also people who do not possess the skills to buy components and assemble them. They like the plug and play route. I'm not aware of any differentiating factors of HDD + enclosure vs preassembled external drives.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:51 PM

If an External Enclosure converts an internal HDD into a portable HDD, than why is there also a such thing as an External HDD?
It seems like the smarter thing to do would be to buy internal HDD's and just buy an External Enclosure when you need to make the Internal HDD portable.

Am I missing something here? Do External HDD's have some advantage over an Internal HDD w/External Enclosure?

The basic problem with your buy one external case and swap drives as needed is:

1. People get lazy and stop securing the drives leading to possibility of damage
2. The drive connectors wear out sooner or later depending on the quality of the case. The connectors are presumed by the maker to only get used once or twice.
3. What you are saying is why they sell external drive docks like this example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153066 I do not recommend this model or brand as I have no experience with it I only put it here to show what they look like. These should be a more durable design for repeated insertion and removals.

Also Hard Drive prices are going up as Western Digital has lost 60% manufacturing due to flooding in Thailand.
One major computer maker is saying:
At this point in time, we anticipate constraints on supplies of HDDs to begin in mid-November. Snip... Unfortunately, it is very uncertain when the HDD industry will fully recover its production capacity, but we currently expect shortages to last into the first calendar quarter of 2012.
End Quote

Edited by rotor123, 28 October 2011 - 12:56 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

My opinion: there is no advantage to one over the other. Keep in mind the cost factor. An external hard drive will generally cost less than the combined price of an internal drive and the enclosure.

An enclosure works well in one instance. Several years ago I had a computer with 2 internal drives. One drive was for storage only. I regularly backed up my C drive to the storage drive. That computer eventually died. It made more sense to get a new system than to repair the computer.

Since I had 2 drives with files on them I bought an enclosure, put one of the drives in it, and retrieved my files and folders. I used that as a back up method until the enclosure eventually quit working. By that time, my old C drive had died and I was using the storage drive in the enclosure.

I know have an external drive I use for back up purposes.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:18 PM

External drives are usually for backup storage.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users