Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow computer, can't find anything wrong

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pipe274

pipe274

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:19 PM

My pc is a Dell 4600 Pentium 4 512MB of RAM, I have Microsoft Security Essentials running on it but still seems to have problems. Weekly I run a Spybot scan and usually only come up with one problem, Right Media. Fix that but still runs slowly. I also will try a MalewareBytes scan but it usually never finds anything...just too slow, help please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:40 PM

512MB of RAM...is probably part of the problem, IMO.

Some excellent comments at Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html .

Louis

#3 Pajajn

Pajajn

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:47 PM

Rootkit , same as i had probably..
never found out what it was and no TDSS killer from kaspersky found anyting on deep either

Sometimes my slowness disappeared and then it came back some minutes later

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:54 PM

Agreed that 512 isnt very much for Windows XP but I have worked on a lot of the 4600 Dell system that run fine with that much ram.

My guess would be an excessive amount of programs loading on startup.
Please look in the system tray on the bottom right of your screen and list everything that is there for starters.

Also try a scan with SuperAntiSpyware. Over the years Spybot has fallen out of favor in the tech community. It is still a very good program for finding older stuff but is in dire need of an update. Great game hidden in there as an Easter Egg though.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

Do you have a Dell xp reinstall cd? Unless the ol Dell has been reloaded it may be time for a fresh install of xp.
It would also be a good time to back up all your files and pictures as the hard drive (if original) is aging.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:40 PM

Removing Spybot would be the first step. :P

Tekken

#7 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

Hello pipe274 and welcome to bleeping computer please do the following.
Download CCLEANER the link below:

http://www.piriform....leaner/download

Just DONT us the registry cleaner function of CCleaner unless you know what you are deleting exactly!!

Then open ccleaner hit the tools button then startup second one down below uninstall then in the bottom right hand corner of ccleaner hit save to text file.Save it to your desktop and post the startup.txt here in your next reply.Also hit start run then type msconfig then hit the services tab then hit put a check mark in hide microsoft services what is listed there,after hiding microsoft services?

#8 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

Link in last post broken
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:13 PM

From Wiki page on Right Media -
Right Media, Inc. is an online advertising company that operates the Right Media Exchange (RMX), a marketplace that enables advertisers, publishers, and ad networks to trade digital media. Technology providers develop services for the Exchange via APIs.Since the Yahoo! acquisition, Remix Media has been integrated with Yahoo!'s offerings to small businesses. Right Media's customers included Yahoo! (also an investor) and Fox Interactive Media.
On 30 April 2007, Yahoo! announced the acquisition of Right Media.It should be noted: Right Media is considered to be malware by the computing community. Multiple fire walls, spy removers, virus blockers identify it as such although none have to date (03/2011) found a way to remove it.

Generally Right Media has Tracking cookies on dozens of ads everywhere around the world -
Personally my daily scans with SUPERAntiSpyware keep these to a minimum - :mellow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users