Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 doesn't boot after update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PCNoob19

PCNoob19

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:32 PM

Hi, I am pretty experienced with computers but I've recently had a problem that I cannot seem to fix. I run windows xp and windows 7 on dual boot. It has worked fine for a very long time, perhaps a year or longer. A couple months ago, I installed a windows update on my win 7 partition. The update said it was successful, but ever since I haven't been able to boot up windows 7. It will show the windows logo and load all the way through, right to where it would normally begin to load the actual desktop, but then the system crashes and the computer restarts. I can get on to my windows xp partition fine, so I have just been using this partition for the past month or two. I finally got up the motivation to try to fix my windows 7 partition today. I created a windows recovery disk and loaded it up. The peculiar thing is that when i ran the recovery disk, it started off by searching for windows installations. What it found was a Windows 7 (C:) partition. This is odd because my windows xp installation is on C: and the windows 7 installation is actually on I:. I clicked on the windows 7 anyways and went ahead with trying to get the recovery disk to do an automatic repair. This was the result:

"Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically"

And then I was given the option whether or not to send information about this problem. Underneath this option was also a tiny button that said view problem details. When I clicked this, a dialog box opened that said the following:

"Problem signature

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200496
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 19
Problem Signature 07: BadPatch

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033"

I didn't know what any of this meant really, so I closed the dialog box and hit "Don't Send".
This brought me to another window, and one option was to view the startup repair diagnosis and repair log. I clicked on this and the following showed up:

"Last successful boot time: 8/18/2011 7:27:05 AM
Number of repair attempts: 19

Session Details
---------------
System Disk = \Device\harddisk2
Windows Directory= C:\Windows -->* See! it says C drive here again, when it should be checking I:...
AutoChkRun=0
Number of root causes=1

Then it went through a series of tests which it had performed, and for all of them they were completed successfully

Test Performed:
--------------
Check for updates
System disk test
Disk failure diagnosis
Disk metadata test
Target OS test
Volume content check
Boot manager diagnosis
System boot log diagnosis
Internal state check
-------------------

Root cause found: Startup repair has tried several times but still cannot fix the problem."

So in the end, my hard drive passed all of these diagnostic tests and I still did not know what was wrong. I clicked on advanced options and tried to do a system restore, but it said that there was none available (even though I clearly remember making one not too long ago before installing a game)

What's the deal? Why won't it let me just restore to before the windows update and get on with my life? It looks as though the boot program is confused about where my windows 7 install is. When I look on paragon partition manager it clearly says Windows 7 (I:) and Windows XP (C:). how can i get my computer to recognize that windows 7 is installed on I? Should i maybe just swap the labels for xp and 7 or something? I tried every option on the recovery cd with no effect, please advise me what to do! thanks! and if this isn't the right form please point me in the right direction :)

*edit: also, after posting this topic i just opened a command prompt and opened up disk part. According to diskpart, I have Windows XP on C and Windows 7 on I. so diskpart is correct..i am very confused why the windows 7 recovery CD wants to repair a Windows 7 on C:

Edited by nickdevanney, 27 October 2011 - 01:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

Hello,

Yeah it's wired how Windows 7 does that to the partition. It is normal for some reason Vista also did this to XP. I installed XP and Vista on a computer I have and I have XP on C: and Vista E: and everytime I boot into vista and go to computer it says that Vista is on the C: partition. so that is normal. Since you can boot into the XP machine, you can save your data from XP and just reinstall Windows 7. Or you can try safe mode or last known good configuration from advanced boot options.

#3 PCNoob19

PCNoob19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:20 PM

okay, thanks for your info. I have already backed up all of the files from the windows 7 partition, so i'm not too worried about losing anything permanently. I would really like to fix the installation without reinstalling though because there are some programs on there that I need. even if i copy the files the programs won't work the same way again because of how they are configured. that's probably a little confusing to you but basically what I am asking is, are there any ways out there that I could possibly repair this install? not only do i need these particular programs to work how they do but it would also be a lot easier on me to just fix the install since the windows 7 installation has over 500gb of programs and that would be a pain to reinstall one by one

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:09 PM

I run windows xp and windows 7 on dual boot.

This is one of the problems that often occor as the 2 far apart O/Systems are not always ideal to run together all the time.
Personally, I would save / transfer one version (XP or 7) to an external drive so that you have only one installed on your hard drive.

Note that this is only my personal view, as there are many questions posted related to partitioned hard drives that cause conflicts.
If the other way works for you, Please ignore this and use your current setup as you have done, just be careful of all updates.

Regards -

#5 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:22 AM

OK then you should boot to the Windows 7 DVD do a repair select the command line option and run check disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users