Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word 2007 leaving border around transparent images!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jay3fer

Jay3fer

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

I use "set transparent color" quite a lot and never had a problem until a couple of months ago. Suddenly, many documents I have saved with transparent images overlapping now have an ugly 1-pixel border around the image, as shown here:
Posted Image

Hitting "reset image" erases the border, BUT also loses all the changes I've made in terms of size, color, transparency, rotation, etc.

Why is this happening? I have files that were 100% okay, printed, converted to PDF, everything, just fine, and then when I open them again, there are these borders everywhere! They DO show up in print and they DO show up in PDF, so they're not just screen artifacts. Weird. Also, it doesn't happen every single time; some transparent graphics stay that way, no border, just as I left them.

Anyone have any clue what's going on???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:59 PM

Can you upload a sample document containing the unslightly lines?

#3 Jay3fer

Jay3fer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:56 PM

Um... yes... how? I've done it before on another forum here, but no idea how to attach one to this particular post... I have a sample document ready to go.
In the meantime, I have uploaded the doc here. Sorry for the 20-second delay... :-(

Edited by Jay3fer, 27 October 2011 - 03:57 PM.

#4 Jay3fer

Jay3fer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:13 AM

Bump! It's still doing this, not only with transparent colour, but with just about any recolor-type effect. Any ideas?

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

I think that is just by design, I am not sure what is going on.

#6 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

Humm, I tried the uploaded file and didn't see any issues. I tried both 2003 & 2007 (Word).
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:19 PM

The issue is there, and I am not sure what is going on.

#8 Jay3fer

Jay3fer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

Glad somebody else can see it... though I'm mystified that the problem isn't appearing for others. Perhaps it's an update that Word has automatically installed? I open up older files that were PERFECT - I made PDFs of them and I know they were clean - and now they have the lines. This is really messing me up...

(and the lines DO appear when I save as PDF, or print, or export to a PDF printer - all options I have attempted in case it was just my imagination)

Argh. :ranting:

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

I will see what I can do with the test document.

#10 Jay3fer

Jay3fer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:44 PM

Further weirdness... around the same time this started happening, I started noticing that Word has TWO versions of its Picture Tools ribbon: the standard one, and a simplified "weird" one.
Here's the standard one:
Posted Image
Here's the weird one:
Posted Image

It seems to choose which to display arbitrarily. Here, I inserted a JPG image. It has what I think of as "simple" handles and pulls up the "simple" menu when I click it.
Posted Image

But then, when I copied it and pasted it into the SAME Word document, the new copy appears with normal handles and pulls up the normal menu.
Posted Image

Is this a normal thing with Word 2007 that I just never noticed... or is it related, somehow?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:03 AM

I think it it is normal behavior to have this happen on 2 different machines with 2 different versions. I would chalk this up more as an annoyance then anything.

#12 Jay3fer

Jay3fer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:02 PM

I think it it is normal behavior to have this happen on 2 different machines with 2 different versions. I would chalk this up more as an annoyance then anything.

Hmm... I'm only using it on ONE machine, with documents I created on the SAME machine. A bit more than an annoyance, but I guess this is the world's way of telling me that I should get something higher-end for creating anything other than straight text documents. :mellow:

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

Are you using different templates by any chance?

Did one of the templates get set to the "weird" ribbon?

Did you edit a document initially created by someone else? If so, that may have created a glitch.

Edit: Another thought. By any chance, were there Word updates a couple months ago and did you get an update intended for a different version than what you have?

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 22 November 2011 - 03:00 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

Hmm... I'm only using it on ONE machine, with documents I created on the SAME machine. A bit more than an annoyance, but I guess this is the world's way of telling me that I should get something higher-end for creating anything other than straight text documents. :mellow:

I was talking about my machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users